Lower Blepharoplasty Complication After 5 Months, Is a Revision Recommended?

I had a lower bleph 5 months ago. I had an incision under the eye and fat removed. One eye is perfect the other is left larger and I have a small scleral show about 1mm. My lower eyelid looks lower than the other). I know this is not much but to me it is making me very unhappy. I have been to see an oculoplastic surgeon for a second opinion and he said it is very slight compared to others but he could perform a canthpexy or canthoplasty to correct this, but could this make it worse? Very worried

+1

It all depends on why you have sclera show on the lid. A canthopexy will tighten loose skin and muscle and pull a loose lid up, but it can make the opening of the eye look smaller. If the issue of sclera show is due to stiff scar tissue of the incision area or too much skin being removed, the canthopexy will do little good and could do harm. Without feeling your tissues I cannot say whether the canthopexy would be a good idea.

+1

If you are unhappy, then you should seek other opinions for what can be done.  Canthoplasty or canthopexy alone is often inadequate and requires vertical eyelid elavation as well, but this would depend on your examination.  Sometimes fillers can raise the lid, but this is temporary.  There may be other suggestions.  See an Oculoplastic surgeon with experience in revisions.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid retraction after blepharoplasty

+1

Hi. Lower eyelid retraction after lower transcutaneous blepharoplasty does occur.  Reconstructive surgery is possible to raise the lower eyelid.  Doing a canthoplasty alone won't do it.  The lower eyelid also needs vertical support and there are different ways of achieving this.  It is important that you see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid retraction

+1

Lower eyelid retraction is not uncommon following blepharoplasty. There are many different ways to address this depending on the severity of retraction. In some severe cases, a graft may be needed on the inside of the eyelid to help elevate the tissue. A canthopexy/plasty is a very reasonable way to address mild/moderate lower lid retraction. The prominence of the eyeball in relation to the cheek bony structure can also be a complicating factor.

An oculoplastics consultation is quite appropriate.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

This is always the way things are.  You, as the patient must make an educated decision on whether, or not to have a certain procedure.  I always counsel patients to decide based on how badly they want the issue addressed...in this case the scleral show.  If it doesn't bother you much, then leave it alone.  However, if you hate it...then you should be ready to do reasonable things to have it improved.  No reputable surgeon, IMHO, ever makes guarantees but can give you some idea on the chances of improvement versus making it worse.  Hope this helps.

Scleral show after lid surgery

+1

There are some individuals who have a small degree of scleral show naturally, though most do not, and lid postion can be altered with lower lid surgery. If you are troubled by the show on one side, a canthopexy will tighten and lift the lid. Could it make things worse? Perhaps, though it can be done well. The procedure would be much like doing one lid over from the start.

peterejohnsonmd.com