Discomfort After Blepharoplasty

I had a lower Blepharoplasty 6 months ago. Results are good but I have discomfort in outer corner of one eye with a small bump below incision line and slight redness. It was suggested that I have the permanent sutures removed from the one eye. Does this sound like the right solution?

Sutures may be causing after blepharoplasty discomfort

+2

If your surgeon mentioned a permanent suture you may have had a canthoplasty as a part of your blepheroplasty. The suture(s) may be causing a reaction and may need to be removed.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Discomfort after blepharoplasty

+1

It is possible you have developed a suture granuloma in the lower eyelid on the side of the discomfort. It may be wise to remove the sutures at this point as the tissue has healed into position.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

It would be unusual to use a permanent suture just below the skin in blepharoplasty surgery.

+1

It would be unusual to use a permanent suture just below the skin in blepharoplasty surgery. However, if this was in fact used, it could easily be removed through a very small incision. It may be that there is some scar tissue around the permanent suture or some other type of foreign body. In any of these cases, a small incision would be required, likely with only local anesthesia, to address the problem.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like permanent suture could be the cause

+1

The bump below the incision line and redness may suggest that there is a permanent suture that was placed in the lateral canthal area on the orbital rim and it may be infected. There is also potential for having a sebaceous cyst in the area if some epithelium was trapped underneath the skin. It is impossible to know without close physical examination.

Blepharoplasty suture most likely the culprit

+1

During a Blepharoplasty, sometimes permanent sutures are used to help maintain results. If the suture causes irritation, it may need to be removed. Another cause for the bump can be scar tissue or an inflammatory reaction from an underlying suture. These causes may also require surgical intervention to address the problem. Have your surgeon evaluate the area to give you the proper diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

No harm in removing Blepharoplasty stitches now

+1

Typically, the only permanent suture that is used is to resuspend the canthus or lower lid supporting ligament. This may be the problem or a long lasting stitich that will dissolve over time. Either way you're healed, so have your surgeon look at it. No harm will come to removing it.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Sutures should be removed if they are discomforting

+1

There can be two inflammatory reactions causing your symptoms: permanent suture reaction or skin pore obstruction around the incision site. If the area has a pimple or whitish material near it, then it would be the latter; if not, probably the former. If suture is the cause, inflammation should regress with the removal of it.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Canthopexy suture should be removed if it bothers you

+1

I had to go back and take out the canthopexy stich on a couple of patients. I use a permanent suture to support the lower eye lid and sometimes it could create a reaction. You plastic surgeon will recommend removing it if it keep bothering you.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

This is quite common after Blepharoplasty

+1

To irkharness,

Hi! This is fairly common. Removing the canthopexy stitch will probably relieve your symptoms. I use dissolving stitches to avoid this problem, but many excellent surgeons think permanent stitches are necessary, inspite of the occasional problem. I think the issue has not been resolved.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Blepharoplasty discomfort

+1

The symptoms you describe may be realted to the permanent sutures that you stated that you had placed. If they get close to the surface, they can be an irritant and should be removed.