Can Lower Blepharoplasty and Neck Liposuction Be Done Under Local Anesthesia and Sedation?

Lower Blepharoplasty and Neck Liposuction

+1

Yes. Patients who are prepared for a shot of local anesthesia in the eye can do very well with lower blepharoplasty, of course any patient who has saggy neck skin may also have a lower lid laxity that requires a canthal repositioning (thightening of the corners of the eye. That is called a canthoplasty or canthopexy . That may slightly increase the amount of time required to do the procedure, but a little sedation, a few eye drops, and local anesthesia can still keep you very comfortable for the procedure. A neck lift is a little more of an undertaking of your local anesthesia because the patients can feel some things they may not wish to feel. I always carefully select my patients who undergo neck liposuction because some of them actually want a neck lift. If you are a good candidate for lower blepharoplasty and liposuction of the neck, you can comfortably undergo both procedures in my practice awake with a bit of sedation and local anesthesia.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, both procedures can be done without general anesthesia. In fact I often perform this procedures with only local anesthetic. Most patients tolerate these two procedures quite well. The lack of general anesthesia makes the recovery shorter.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and liposuction can be performed with local anesthesia and sedation.

+1

Liposuction is nearly always performed with local anesthesia and sedation. Numbing of the lower lids is extremely painful but it can be performed if the patient can put up with the temporary discomfort.

Can lower blepharoplasty and neck liposuction be done with local anesthesia and sedation?

+1

Blepharoplasty surgery and liposuction of the neck can be done under local anesthesia with sedation.  I routinely perform these procedures with IV sedation and local anesthesia and patients tolerate this extremely well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, I have performed both neck liposuction and lower eyelid surgery under a local anesthetic however the lower eyelid surgery is a bit tricky under a local if performed appropriately as a transconjunctival (through the lower eyelid) technique.  I use a lower eyelid flap to block the lower eye making the procedure easier on the patient undergoing a local anesthetic alone.  Hope this helps.

Anesthestic options

+1

It is possible to do most head and neck cosmetic procedures under local or IV sedation, but your doctor may have a preference for general anesthesia. Discuss all of your options with your surgeon before deciding together what is best for the procedures you are choosing to undergo.

Patti A. Flint, MD

Performing neck liposuction and lower eyelid blepharoplasty under local

+1

It is possible to perform liposuction of the neck and a lower eyelid blepharoplasty at the same time.  

Lower eye lid surgery and neck liposuction under local anesthesia

+1

It is possible to do these under local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia.  If you are going to perform a lower blepharoplasty under local anesthesia, you will have conscious awareness of the pain and discomfort when removing the 3 fat pads on the lower lids. The fat pads of the lower lids have deep proprioceptive nerve fibers that do not respond to local anesthetic. You will also have conscious awareness of injections around the eyelids and the entire neck area  in order to get both areas completely anesthetized. We recommend general anesthesia for patient safety and comfort with a board certified physician anesthesiologist in attendance.

Not only is it possible to have these procedures under local with sedation...

+1

It is also possible to have these procedure under just straight local anesthesia without sedation.  Sedation covers a vast range of states of consciousness.  This can range from a state of slight sedation achieved with 2.5 mg of valium  to a level of sedation that resembles general anesthesia.  Working with a surgeon who is very comfortable with minimal sedation makes all the difference.  For example I use a dental anesthesia pump called the Wand to slowly introduce local anesthetic without the pinch sensation.  Good stuff.

Anesthesia for cosmetic surgery

+1

Yes, most cosmetic surgeries can be done under sedation, or general anesthesia.  However general anesthesia is very safe and gives better control in most instances.  Also general anesthesia is most comfortable way to have your surgery.

Fears about general anesthesia are mostly not founded in reason.  Let your surgeon be your guide and not your own ideas about anesthesia guide you to another surgeon, based on anesthesia choice alone.    

Vasdev Rai, MD