Scheduled For Lower Blepharoplasty and Dr. Suggested Mini Lift. Is This Normal? What Are The Risks?

I'm 34 yrs old and scheduled for a lower blepharoplasty on 2 days.my ps said he will be performing a mini lift to avoid excessive wrinkles from appearing after surgery.would the mini lifting be recommended?any complications?

Very few 34 year olds need mini face lifts.

+3

Is it normal for surgeons to suggest or push additional surgery?  Yes it is.  Is it normal for a 34 year old to need a facelift?  No it is not.  I would urge caution here.  Don't buy something you don't need just because it is on sale.  Consider reposting with your photographs.

Informed consent

+2

Part of the preoperative evaluation and consultation is discussing matters like you have described. It is pretty unusual to perform a  minilift in order to avoid wrinkle around the eyes. I would discuss this again with your plastic surgeon or obtain a second opinion as well.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgeons Suggesting Additional Procedures Right Before Scheduled Surgery

+2

Often more than one surgical approach is needed to obtain your goals and you might not be aware of. This is the reason for you initial consultation to obtain informed consent about all procedures that are recommended to you. What concerns me the most is that it appears you are just finding out about other procedures that will be done that may not have been discussed fully with you at the initial consultation and now 2 days prior to your procedure !

There are complications that can occur with any plastic surgery, and specific indications required for all procedures. You should not feel pressured to make an immediate decision because this is elective surgery. I you are uncomfortable, I recommend postponing the surgery and re-consulting with your plastic surgeon or obtain a second opinion from a board certified plastic or facial cosmetic surgeon

+2

The first question is what does he mean by a Mini Lift?  Then, a lot will depend on your examination.  34 years old is young for "lift" procedures but there are always exceptions.  If you could find out what procedure he wants to do exactly and then repost with pictures, it would be helpful.

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dr. Suggested Mini Lift. Is This Normal?

+2

This is a good question. It would be hard to answer specific to your case without really good photos. But in general if he's talking about a mini lift of the midface through the lower lid, maybe there would be some mild benefit, but at your age it is not very likely. If he is talking about the minilift in front of the ear it is hard to imagine the benefit. It certainly does not make the lid surgery any better. I think you need a lot more information and probably better get another opinion before you make your final decision.

Is the mini facelift right for you?

+2

Lower lid rejuventation might be necessary at age 34 for familial fat bags, however facelift is unusual. The mini lift is not needed to make the lid surgery successful, and if you don't see laxity in the jowel, neck, or cheek calling for the lift, the suggestion may be less about your needs than your surgeon's.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/eyelid-surgery