Just Had Lower Bleph 5 Days Ago. How Much Additional Swelling Could I Expect to Reside over the Next Week or So?

I just had a lower Blepharoplasty (fat removal and skin pinch) five days ago. I have the expected bruising and swelling, but so far, I am very very happy with what I am seeing. Is it possible to say how much additional swelling I could expect to reside over the next week or so? It is my impression that there is still, generally speaking, a fair amount of swelling left at 5 days post op? I'm 43/male/non-smoker.... Thank you for any insights!

+2

Yes, expect swelling to continue to resolve over the next 2-4 weeks. Sometimes swelling will last longer and may require steroid injections. Just be patient, your results will continue to improve.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid swelling 5 days after surgery.

+2

The good news is that it sound that you are looking well only 5 days out from surgery! You can expect to still have residual swelling from the procedure at this early stage. Keep your head elevated, including at night. Keep cool compresses on your eyes if you can (although this is most effective for the first 24 hours after surgery).  Things will continue to get better rapidly.

C.W. David Chang, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Quite a bit of swelling reduction over the next 7 days.

+2

In another week, you may very well be at a point were many people do not notice your swelling.  You certainly will be swollen but it is often socially acceptable at that point.

Lower blepharoplasty recovery time

+2

At 5 days after lower blepharoplasty, there still would be expected swelling present.  It can take several weeks to months for all of the swelling to resolve, but the appearance of your eyes will likely gradually change as the swelling goes down.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling varies amoung patients

+2

Most patients at your stage have a significant amount of swelling.  On average there is noticeable swelling until about two weeks.  Some patients improve within a week and others have small amounts of swelling for several weeks.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  She/he will be able to tell you how much residual swelling you have.  After a week or two your swelling will likely improve enough so that only you and your physician will notice.  Eventually only your surgeon will be able to assess the minute tissue swelling until it has completely resolved.  Hope this helps.  Great luck with your outcome!

Hollie Hickman, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Post Blepharoplasty Swelling

+1

Thank you for your question. Swelling peaks in the first week, and subsides over the next 2-3 weeks. If you are prone to seasonal allergies, then things may be prolonged. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon