Lower Back Pain After Breast Augmentation, Will this Go Away?

My breast augmentation is 6 weeks away and my lower back hurts so bad when I'm sleeping ( it starts at week 4th) .How to make the pain go away? Please help ! ( i got 325cc submuscular)

Breast Augmentation - Lower Back Pain After Breast Augmentation, Will this Go Away?

+3

Back pain after breast augmentation is actually pretty common - but it's usually the UPPER back.  And that is because the pectoral muscles (the "pecs," under which sub-muscular implants are placed) are effectively connected to the latissimus dorsi ("lats") and other back muscles.  When those muscles are stretched and distorted by the implants, it hurts!

Lower back pain is more likely to be caused by the way you are sleeping or changes in the way you move, lift or carry things.  THAT may be because of your implants but I think the lower back pain is less likely to be directly related.

Speak with your PS and then a back specialist just to make sure there's nothing else going on.  The back pain from implants - at the upper back - is usually gone well before 6 weeks postop.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Back pain after breast augmentation

+3

Unfortunately all sorts of bodily aches and pains can go along with breast augmentation surgery especially if the implants were placed under the muscle.  That changes the dynamics of the stretch placed on your pectoralis muscle.  Plus, due to the pain of the surgery, you have probably been using your arms, back, and abdominals differently perhaps without even knowing it.  This should all go away with time as your body adjusts and you become more comfortable.  Please consult with your plastic surgeon about this.  Sometimes a medication such as a muscle relaxer can aid with the muscle tension and pain on a short term basis.  All of my patients receive low dose valium to help with muscle spasms.  But, you cannot drive under the influence of these types of medications.  If the pain continues to persist, then you might consider directed massage and low impact physical therapy.  Once your surgeon stops your activity restrictions, you can start some low back and abdominal strengthening exercises as well to help with any imbalance in your core muscles.   

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Persistent Low Back Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

A significant number of people complain of back pains after longer operations than Breat Augmentation from beng on the OR table. Such pain is not common with shorter procedures such as a routine Breast Augmenttion.  The discomfort, if there, should not last more than a month. You need to discuss it with your surgeon as you most likely have another process causing it. 

Back pain after breast augmentation

+1

Often lower back pain after breast augmerntation happens as the result of positioning while sleeping or by the way you are exerting yourself differently.

Back Pain after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the back pain you have been experiencing.

Usually, back discomfort after breast augmentation surgery is related to body position especially when sleeping. I think that you will find that this will improve as you are able to sleep on your side,  increase your activity level ( exercise)  etc. Massage,  stretching,  and anti-inflammatories may also be helpful.

Low Back Pain After Augmentation

+1

The most  cause of your low back pain after your augmentation is posturing because of operative pain.  If so, this should resolve quickly.  However, you should make your surgeon aware of this pain so that he/she can rule out other possible causes.

John Whitt, MD

Back pain after breast augmentation

+1

Low back pain can be related to positioning during surgery, or sleeping pattern and postion as well. At this point you can sleep flat or on your side to relieve the stress, and can begin mobility exercise and stretching. Don't forget anti inflammatory medication if you need it as well.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com