4 Months Still Not Healed? (photo)

I had a Tummy Tuck on June 19th and I still have this one spot that has never closed and it's draining a thick greenish/yellowish liquid. I have been to my Dr twice about it, first time he put me on anitibiotics, then I went to my general Dr for another reason and I showed it to her, she put me on anitibiotics. Then I went back to my TT Dr and he told me he wasn't worried too much about the color of what's coming out. Any suggestions of how I can get this to close and stop draining?

Persistent drainage 4 months after a TT

+2

Dear Rdy4chnge,

You should not experienced such prolonged drainage for 4 months after a TT.

yes, either a non-dissolved suture, or now a superimposed low-grade infection with a resistant bacteria ( MRSA ? ) needs to be addressed since you had multiple course of antibiotics which did not help.

You may want to consult with another plastic surgeon if your current surgeon is not helping you.Cultures of the drainage may need to be done.  You may need to be referred to an infectious disease specialist too for appropriate antibiotic management.

Good luck,

Florence Mussat, MD

Non-healing wound

+1

I agree with the other opinions, the most likely cause is a retained stitch which has gotten infected. A simple, in office exploration will allow for removal of the stitch and cleaning of the wound.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Surgical exploration may be warranted

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  I suspect you had either some fat necrosis or an infected seroma that is causing the prolonged discharge md open wound.  Since the draining is not getting better and it has been 3-4 months from your surgery a plan should be set in place.  My gut feeling is that you may need to have at least the incision opened up to help clean up what the problem is as well get an idea of the extent of the problem.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Undissolved sutures after tummy tuck

+1

We can't tell much from your photo, however undissolved suture material can cause persistent drainage from the incision after tummy tuck, and removal of the suture material can speed the healing process.

Drainage 4 months after Tummy Tuck

+1

There are a couple of things that may cause a persistent draining wound after a tummy tuck... poor health and/or an infected suture. At 4 months, you should no longer have any significant wound healing issues as long you are relatively healthy. It is the responsibility of the operating surgeon to take care of you from start to finish. If there seems to be a conflict, then you might want to seek a second opinion.

Thank you for your question and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Hello

+1

Your pictures are not the best to be able to give you adequate advice. It sounds like it can be a suture abscess and it will not let it heal the only way to help is to go in an remove the suture, it’s done in the office and it’s not a big procedure.. You should possibly get a second opinion on how you can get this area heal since it has been 4 months.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

4 Months Still Not Healed?

+1

Unfortunately these photos are out of focus, and I cannot see if there is a particular site of drainage. 

It seems most likely that there is an undissolved suture at or near the point of drainage, and that its removal, which can be done with local anesthesia, is the key to resolving this problem for you. 

Thanks and best wishes.