Lower Abdominal Swelling 2 Years After Tummy Tuck, What Could be the Problem?

I had a tummy tuck two years ago after a triplet pregnancy. I was very happy with my results and had a flat abdomen with virtually no fat. About a week ago a tried a new kind of abdominal workout and my abs became very sore. They are feeling better now, but over the last 2 days I have this buldge that appeared right above where my pants sit. Is this fluid accumulation? Could it be a problem? What can I do to get rid of it? Thank you for your time!

Swelling two years after tummy tuck

+2

Since it has been quite some time since your surgery and since this occurred shortly after strenuous exercise I would recommend that you return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. It may be muscle strain and some associated swelling but it may represent an area of weakness in the repair of the muscle-fascia that was performed at the time of the original surgery.  This is something like a hernia.

Your plastic surgeon may want you to have a test like an ultrasound or a CT scan in order to see if there is a problem that may need to be fixed versus swelling from the activity which should resolve on its own.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

A little swelling after a tummy tuck is normal

+1

It sounds like you may have torn/irritated your abdominal muscles after your new workout.  I would rest for a few days, keep your legs elevated, and try a low salt diet to help with the swelling.  Ibuprofen may also be beneficial. If things don't get better in 3-4 days, give your plastic surgeon a call as you may need to be examined.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD