Is It Possible to Just Have Lower Ab Liposuction?

I'm dissatisfied with the appearance of my abs, especially lower abs. I'd like to get lower abs done only, due to cost and less recovery needed. In your professional opinion, should I wait to get upper & lower done, or just do lower? I've heard doing only lower can cause less satisfactory results.

Lower abdominal liposuction

+3

yes, you can have liposuction of only those areas that both concern you and those areas that you need. Because of your age and shape, you can anticipate having good skin retraction with a very good result. Laser-assisted liposuction assists in greatly reducing the amount of bruising, potentially swelling, along with skin-tightening effects of your liposuction results. If your looking to have just your lower abdominal area performed, your surgeon will work carefully and skillfully to taper the results of your liposuction to make sure the results are natural, as well as performed safely. 

Liposuction of the lower abdomen can be effective in the right situation

+2

If you have only lower abdominal fat accumulation, then liposuction here could be beneficial. However, if you have considerable laxity of skin either here alone or also above your belly button, then other considerations need be evaluated. 

You should consult with a plastic surgeon who could provide you with various options including the pros and cons, risks and expectations.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Abdominal Liposuction?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It would be in your best interest to be examined by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. During the consultation you should ask:

1. if you are a good candidate for liposuction at all? The “ideal” liposuction patient   present with isolated diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue collection,  with overlying skin that demonstrates adequate elasticity ( to “bounce back” after the adipose tissue has been removed).

2. In order to achieve the ideal result,  will liposuction of the upper abdomen and flanks also be helpful?

I think you will find that this in person consultation will be much more helpful than online consultation.

Yes it is possible, but not recommended

+1

Yes, it is possible to do just the lower abs, but you don’t want to loom out of proportion. The reason I usually recommend lower and upper abs as well as the flanks in the same session is to make sure you are proportional. Remember, if you gain weight, it goes to the other areas that have not been treated. I see many patients who just had their lower abs done who come back a year or two later with increased fat in their “love handles” and upper abs.

To make sure you get the best result, see an experienced dermatologic surgeon who is trained to perform liposculpture entirely under local anesthesia that both reduces cost as well as down time. Performing liposuction entirely under local tumescent anesthesia (developed by dermatologic surgeons almost 20 years ago) is the safest way to have the procedure and often you can be back to exercising and all activities within a day or two.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Lower ab liposuction

+1

Liposuction is best for isolated areas of fat and for contouring. I would recommend treating the whole abdomen (in my practice, abdomen is one area and cost would not change). If you don't treat the upper abdomen, the fat will suddenly appear there in your late 30's and 40's.

Donna Rich, MD

It is rare to do only the lower abdomen with liposuction if you want good results!

+1

Liposuction of the whole abdomen gives by far the best results vs. just doing the lower abdomen.  You have fat bulges in the upper abdomen that will be accentuated afterwards just like substandard tummy tucks when they don't address the fat bulging in the upper abdomen.  Cost is roughly $5000 when on special for the full abdomen under local tumescent technique anesth with the micro cannulas.  Save up to do it right!  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction of the Lower Abdomen To Get Rid of that Problematic Roll

+1

Liposuction is truly a spot fat removal treatment so it can be done just about anywhere there is fat under the skin. You can certainly have liposuction done on the lower abdomen only if that is your only area of fat concern. Doing just the lower abdomen will reduce cost and recovery as you have mentioned. The results from any liposuction procedure depend more on the technique used and the quality and amount of overlying skin, not on the area(s) treated. It is not just a question of whether you should have the lower abdomen done only, but whether there is any benefit to treating surrounding areas, such as the upper abdomen and further back along the waisltline, at the same time. Your pictures do not suggest this is so but an actual consultation would be needed to provide an accurate answer to those questions.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction for Lower Abdomen Only

+1

It is okay to have liposuction only on one's lower abdomen. Some people store a large amount of fat there, and so that area may be the only spot that needs it.

In your case, it looks like you have a nice figure, and liposuction would only give you a small improvement in that area.  

You don't need to be under general anesthesia for a small case of liposuction. I would recommend tumescent liposuction. That is where the numbing fluid is put into the fatty area and the liposuction is done while you are awake or only sedated. Tumescent liposuction is much safer and often less expensive than liposuction under general anesthesia.

You should get a second opinion and price quote from someone that offers tumescent liposuction.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon