Indentation, Will It Get Worse or Better? (photo)

Hi I had a second breast augmentation with a benelli lift revision 3 weeks ago, after 4 days the implants were removed through the crease. Although I am happy the implants were removed, I am now concern of what I saw when I removed the tapes two days ago. The lower part of the nipple is caved in. I started using silicone sheets, but I would like to know some doctors opinion on what else can be done? Is it permanent? Thank you

Indentation after removal of breast implants

+1

Dear Lidia,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Unfortunately, using the silicone sheets will not help the indentation shown in the photos.

The most likely cause of this deformity is the lack of breast tissue supporting the indented area.

At this point, it would be wise to be a little more patient so the recovery process can proceed to an end naturally. There is a possibility that the indentation become less visible as your body will try to mask it.

However, if at the end of the recovery process the deformity persists then a lift will have to be considered to correct it. Unfortunately, the usage of acellular dermal matrix (ADM) may not be the best option at this point for you.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Breast Contour Irregularities Can be Helped.

+1
The indentation of the peri-areolar incision described is likely related to the breast implant removal and the lack of breast tissue beneath the incision to support the areola and skin of the bottom of the breast.  The silicone sheeting will help the quality of scar if worn daily for 4-6 months but is unlikely to help the indentation.  It is premature to judge the results.  Oftentimes, the breast tissue settles and some contour abnormalities improve dramatically.  I would recommnend waiting for at least three months.  If the abnormality does not resolve, then I would recommend a vertical "lollipop" breast lift.  A more controversial but very effective treatment is fat transfer to the breast.  This procedure is very effective for correcting breast contour irregularities but it can cause alterations in breast mammography and possible lumps due to some of the fat dying (Fat Necrosis).  In sum,  there are options for resolving this problem, but patience is the better part of valor at this point. 

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Indentation, Will It Get Worse or Better?

+1

NO! the inferior areola dents will not improve. In my opinion you are a candidate for fat grafting to these areas and possible open release of the forming scar 

Implant removal and final result

+1

The reason for implant removal is not clear.  But, indentations can happen after implants are removed. It is difficult to determine what the final result will be.

+1

Time will tell. Removing implants is not without possible consequence. The silicone strips may help with the  scars, but not with the indentation.

However, it may well improve some with time. I would recommend patience for at least 3 months while the wound healing and tissue remodeling proceeds. If it persists, probably the best solution may turn out to be converting to a vertical mastopexy. 

But it may well be that this will resolve to your satisfaction by that time. Best wishes.

Indentation after implant removal, can get better

+1

We hope you are happier without the implants, and though it takes time, we think that the indentation will get better.

What was the reason for using implants and removing them

+1

You had crescent lift with implant and now that the volume from implant removed , you will need to have full lift to correct the lower pole depression. You need to wait at least 3 months before reevaluation. The depression over the lower nipple is not due to the scar but lack of soft tissue to support it.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Indentation following implant removal

+1

When one encounters situations such as this, it usually has a good chance of resolving with time.  Its amazing what our bodies are able to do.  Time is your best friend right now.  Although the silicone will help with the actual scar, it will have no affect on the indentation.  Talk to your surgeon, give it 3-6 months and have them reevaluate the situation.  If it persists, further surgery may be necessary.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon