Low Scar Tummy Tuck?

I now think my best option is a normal Tummy Tuck. I'm just a bit concerned about my navel piercing. What will happen in this case? Will it scar? The other thing I'm worried about is the incision along my belly. I'm a dancer and have to wear low cut shorts, bikini bottoms etc. In a lot of pictures I have seen, women have to wear high trousers and underwear quite high up. Is there any chance of having a low scar? I'm fairly slim 5'4" and about 9 stone (126 lbs). I'm just worried I won't be able to wear thongs and normal bikini bottoms etc.

Tummy tuck scar

+1
I always try to jeep my tummy tuck scars low down on the tummy.  However, with a full tummy tuck you will have a scar around the belly button.  I usually make the belly button on the small sde because it can stretch out over time.

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

After tummy tuck, wearing a thong is not realistic.

+1

The location of a scar for a tummy tuck needs to take into account how much loose skin you have. Having a navel piercing complicates matters as many piercings have a second opening that goes about 1 cm. above the actual belly button. When that area is brought down low, sometimes there is some deformity because of the piercing.

Thongs have minimal skin cover and I doubt very much that a thong will work for anyone having a tummy tuck. Maybe it could work 5 years later, when the scar has really faded. Have your surgeon draw the scar on you, then go home and try a thong. Remember you are unlikely to just wear one thong or one bathing suit, so the scar cannot accommodate all your choices. The scar is a sacrifice that most women find worth it. Make sure you have a long discussion and see many photos ahead of time. Best of luck!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar can be designed to fall quite low

+1

The abdominoplasty incision can be indvidualized for each patient. Many of us have patients wear a bikini bottom or undergarment they want to wear after surgery; we design the final incision to fall entirely in that undergarment. This is something you can discuss with your plastic surgeon and he can demonstrate the final scar on your torso.

In terms of your navel, the belly button piercing will need to be removed for surgery and left out for several weeks. The hole may close, but you can re-pierce your navel once you have completely healed after surgery.

Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD