How Will Lovenox Affect my Explant and Mastopexy Results?

With a diagnosis of lupus I found out I am positive for the anticardiolipin antibody. I am scheduled do have an explant and lift. I have stopped my aspirin regimin, which I will resume after surgery. My hematologist wants me to take lovenox injections for 7 days following explant. I am concerned about how this might affect the results. Is a hematoma in the breast probable? The benefits of the lovenox out way my cosmetic concerns, but I would like to know what to prepare for. thank you!

More bruising likely

+1

Hello

Thank you for the question. Although blood thinners do increase the chance of hematoma and bruising it is far more likely that you will have increased bruising as opposed to a hematoma.  With your plastic surgeons diligence and some good postoperative care the chance of a hematoma while on Lovenox should be very  low

All the best

Dr. Remus Repta 

Web reference: Http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Lovenox will not effect your result

+1

Lovenox will not effect your cosmetic result nor your risk of hematoma. A hematoma in the breast is possible, but not probable. Your surgeon will most likely take extra measures to minimize your risk of hematoma and follow you closely so as to diagnose one as early as possible should one develop.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and lovenox

+1

Dear Maggie,

This is a very good question and should be discussed with your surgeon. I do agree with your hematologist in using Lovenox. Please discuss the use of drains with your surgeon as that would be an added safety net. Best of luck.