Love Handles Uneven Right After Liposuction

I had abdominal lipo yesterday, and the right and left sides of my waist are distinctly uneven. My left side cuts in sharply at the bottom of my rib cage, while the right side curves down smoothly, the way I hope it will look in a few months. Is this cause for concern? Thanks.

Early uneven result with liposuction

Liposuction will always be uneven at first.   In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.    When large areas are treated with liposuction there is always some degree of fluid retention.   Liposuction is really more about how much fat is left behind and not how much fat is removed. You can remove all of the fat and it will not look very good.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Different contours

After liposuction you can have unequal distribution of swelling and even retained liposuction fluid.  I would follow your surgeon's instructions.  Allow things to settle to determine your final shape/contour.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Liposuction results should be pretty symmetrical right away.

Do not panic.  You could have much more swelling after liposuction in one side than in the other.  But it is not a good sign.  You will know for sure in four months if you need a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Love handles uneven right after liposuction

Too early to tell. You may have swelling. You must wait for at least 3 weeks. I have seen this occur and in  most cases there is a settling over a few weeks. But redos are also able to be done at 3 months.

From MIAMI Dr. B

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Asymmetry after liposuction

You may be te$porarily more swollen on one side making it difficult to determine what your final result will be. It would be too early to revise so let your surgeon know you have a concern, wear your compression garment,be patient but make sure you make all scheduled follow-up appointments.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016