Do Love Handles Come Back After Liposuction?

I know someone that that had lipo & the love handles came back. I want to have a brazilian butt lift & am wondering what happens if I gain weight. Will the weight come back in my buttocks or my sides?

Weight gain after liposuction

+2

If you have liposuction in an area, you are reducing the number of fat cells in that area. The fat cells can increase in size with weight gain and they can also decrease in size with weight loss. If you gain weight after a fat transfer to the buttock (Brazilian buttock lift) the fat cells in the buttock can increase in size as well; if you lose weight, the fat cells can decrease in size.

If you maintain your weight after surgery you will maintain your result. Weight fluctuations will show up more easily in places where you did not have any liposuction.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if these procedures are right for you.

Dr.Bruno

Issue w th weight gain after liposuction

+1

After liposuction is performed, the number of fat celss in the area treated goes down. But, if you gain weight, you can still expand the remaining fat cells.

Weight gain after Liposuction or Buttock Augmentation

+1

If you were to gain weight after a buttock augmentation or fat transfer, the fat can come back to the areas that were liposuctioned and the buttock can get bigger. The results are permanent if you maintain an healthy lifestyle with diet and excerise.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Return of fat after liposuction

+1

Despite having lipo, you can continue to gain weight. If a patient had lipo in the waist and still continued the bad habits that led to weight gain, they will put on additional pounds, but less of it will show in the treated areas. If you have a Brazilian Butt Lift and gain weight, you will likely see an increase in volume in the areas treated. That is why we want patients at their ideal and consistent weight prior to any liposuction or fat grafting surgery. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD