10 days post op Rhinoplasty, the tip is very round, swollen, and has no definition. Is this normal? (photos)

I'm 10 days post op and my tip is very swollen, bulbous, and has no definition at all. I had an open rhinoplasty, my nose my crooked was before and my surgeon used a temporalis fascia graft because my skin is thin. He's been great with answering my questions but I'm still worried that my tip will stay like this and I won't have any definition. Is it possible to be this swollen and bulbous but get definition in the tip when the swelling goes down?

Swelling post rhinoplasty

+1
At this early stage the swelling that you have there looks perfectly normal.  In general the lack of tip definition at 10 days after surgery is expected due to the swelling.  It will continue to improve.  Even at one month after surgery, the nose will look much better but still look wider than what you want due to persistent swelling. 

East Brunswick Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

+1
It's normal to have swelling for several months following a rhinoplasty. Be patient and you will see more definition as time passes.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

10 days post op Rhinoplasty, the tip is very round, swollen, and has no definition. Is this normal?

+1
Please e post after 3months healing with up to date posted photos. Than we can respond if you have residual tip issues....

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
It's amazing how many times this question comes up.  I'm sure your surgeon explained that there would be prolonged swelling of your tip, up to a year or more in some cases.  Patients invariably are worried the second the external cast comes off that their nose will not settle down.  The swelling in the tip frequently gets worse for some time after the cast comes off because now there is nothing to keep the swelling from expanding.  In answer to your question, and to all the thousands like yours before, yes, it is possible to have excellent tip definition despite significant immediate (10 days is immediate, by the way) post-operative swelling. It just takes time.  I tell patients (admittedly somewhat jokingly) to not look in the mirror for 1 month after the surgery.  You will drive yourself crazy waiting for the swelling to go down.  Stay out of the sun, avoid salty foods, and take it easy!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

10 days after rhinoplasty

+1
Following rhinoplasty, you can expect to have swelling that will make the tip look bulbous for a short period of time.  The majority of the swelling should settle down over the course of 4-6 weeks.  The residual swelling after that can persist for several months to as much as a year.  over that time the definition of the tip will gradually become realized.  Hang in there for now and you should enjoy a nice result once the swelling settles a bit more.

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon