Will Liposuction in the Upper Ab Mess Up my Results?

I had a tummy tuck 3 and 1/2 months ago. Thre is one area in the upper ab that appears to be a seroma pocket or extra fat. It is more noticeable after strenuous exercise. It is not big, but enough to bother a perfectionist, like me. The PS has recommended lipo suction, which is very expensive. What if it is a seroma pocket and not fat, what will happen? Will the lipo mess up my other results from the tummy tuck? Will I be left with hanging skin in the upper ab area?

Additional Procedure after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your PS has determined that this is excess fat and most likely not a seroma.  He/she has also determined that the skin may respond well after liposuction by suggesting the procedure.  There is always a chance that the results may not be to your liking.  Plastic surgery is an art.  You may consider leaving well enough alone.

Dr. ES

Tummy tuck

+1

You should go back to your surgeon and discuss it. Before deciding on the best treatment, it is necessary to know what the problem is, and treat it appropriately.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction After Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. A small area of fat should respond to liposuction with appropriate skin tightening. Your plastic should be able to evaluate you for this. A seroma can be aspirate with a needle or an ultrasound  guided needle aspiration.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Fullness of the upper abdomen after an abdominoplasty

+1

The upper portion of the abdomen can be a  problem after an abdomioplasty especially if this was very thick prior to surgery.  If you are over aggressive with liposuction in this zone at the time of surgery then you can have wound healing problems.  If it is a seroma then a simple needle aspiration should take care of the problem.  If it is fat then  liposuction is the solution.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to be able to tell which is the problem and how to go about improving this zone. 

Seroma vs fat in upper abdomen

+1

If you surgeon suspects a seroma, an ultrasound is a simple test to get to determine this. If it is fat it should respond to liposuction.