Should I Have a Lift with my Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I have had two PS tell me that I am "borderline" needing a lift. I'm planning on having 350cc silicone round implants. I didn't originally want the lift but as we get closer I am second guessing it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

To lift or not?

+2

I have not checked any of the other answers but its my opinion that choice is entirely up to you.  You already have an asymmetry of your nipples with one side lower.  If you would be happy with just larger breasts with of hint of droopiness, you don't need a lift.  Just because surgeons like to think perfection all the time doesn't mean you have to pursue it yourself.  If you're not sure you want the scars of a lift, then don't do it but understand what result is anticipated.  In my opinion, when you are borderline droopy, you can always have the augmentation done first and if you don't like it, have a breast lift done in the office under local.  The bottom line is what do you want?  Perky or not perky?

+1
Based on your photos, I doubt you can achieve your desired results with implants alone. Your desired photos can be achieved by undergoing a lift with implants. I suggest round implants to achieve the upper pole fullness. A lift alone cannot produce upper pole fullness.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Mommy Makeovers and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.  

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Lift necessary

+1

In my opinion, based on your photographs, a breast lift is necessary.  A more minimal incision list, such as a vertical pattern breast lift is likely sufficient.  This kind of breast lift results in a scar that goes around your areola and a straight scar underneath the areola, which is called a lollipop shaped scar.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

To Lift or Not to Lift with Augmentation Mammaplasty

+1

I perform a number of breast measurements to assist in making a recommendation to my patients regarding a lift with implants. If the breast gland droops below the inferior breast crease less than 2 centimeters and the nipple is at or above the inferior breast crease, breast augmentation alone is one of the recommendations. Breast lift with enlargement may still give the best look, however. If the patient’s measurements exceed the parameters outlined above, breast enlargement alone will result in a breast gland that droops off of the implant so a lift should be included.

The types of breast lifts that can accompany a breast enlargement are categorized by the incision/scar as follows:

1. Periareolar (incision around areola only)
  2. Circumvertical (incisions around areola and extending vertically to breast crease)
  3. Inverted T (full lift with incisions around areola, vertically to crease, and in the crease)

In discussing the various options I will show the patient photographs of patients with similar anatomy. I will show pictures of patients who have selected enlargement alone or the various lift procedures along with enlargement. The patient will usually be able to make a decision on the desired procedure after this in-depth consultation. If a patient is still undecided, she can opt for the surgery to proceed in a step-wise fashion with the surgeon making the decision on the best appearance. During surgery the implants are inserted. If the appearance is unsatisfactory a lift will be simulated using temporary skin closure techniques. First a periareolar lift is simulated progressing through the more involved lifts until the desired result is achieved. The temporary closure devices are removed and the selected procedure is completed.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

To lift or not?

+1

I don't think you are borderline at all.  I definitely think you need a lift.  A vertical lift with lollipop cars and about a 350 cc implant should be about right.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

For optimal results with minimal scars I recommend The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

+1

I would recommend breast augmentation with circumareola approach.  Using this technique it is possible to place the implant, reshape your breast to increase projection and reposition them higher and more medial to increase cleavage.  The optimal result is obtained by aligning your areola, breast tissue and implant all over the bony prominence of your chest to produce maximum anterior projection.  This technique allows the use of a smaller implant to achieve the desire projection.  Implants have weight, descend in time and require revisions.  The best implant is the smallest implant.  You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question on pictures.

I think you will be happier with the shape and longevity of the breast surgery performed if you undergo breast lifting as well as breast augmentation surgery.

Many patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives  psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.
 Stay away from “minimal” breast lifting operations (such as “crescent” breast lifting operations),  that are frequently associated with minimal results and carry the potential of unsatisfactory outcome as well.
 You may find the attached link helpful to you.

Breast lift with implants

+1

Your shape will be better with a lift along with implant. Look at some before and after photos of women with breasts shaped like yours. The results with and without lifts will show you the differences and pros and cons.

Michael Horn, MD

Should I Have a Lift with my Mommy Makeover?

+1

Try implants first than allow healing for 3 to 6 months. After that time if you feel a lifting is needed than proceed. 

Breast Lift with a Mommy Makeover

+1

Based on your photos, you will most likely achieve the results you desire with an augmentation and a lift. In borderline cases, sufficient lift can be achieved with implants alone. If you are hesitant to have a combined procedure, augmentation can be performed first followed by a lift at a later date. Good Luck!

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon