Implants Still Feel Like 2 Foreign Objects in my Body. How Long Does It Take for Them to Feel Normal/attached to the Body?

Breast Lift w Implants & Areola Reduction

Breast Implants feeling normal

+2

All patients have different rates of healing. The most important criteria for a natural feel for implants is the size of the implants relative to your native breast tissue. When most of your breast is implant they will probably feel less natural. Healing after implant surgery takes 6-9 months even up to a year.

Feeling Normal Again

+2

Women in my practice generally feel as though their implants "become a part of them" within 2 weeks to 2 months following the procedure.  They eventually become comfortable sleeping face down, running, and performing any other strenuous or high impact activity.

Scott Chapin, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

When will my breast implants feel normal?

+2

Gegee,

You are asking a very good question, when will my breast implants feel normal?  When will they feel like they are a part of your body? When will you no longer be aware of them?

These are things that go through the minds of most women who have breast implants placed, whether or not they voice these concerns.  And, it is something that I talk with my patients about.  Rather than give a specific time frame, because it depends upon a lot of different factors, let me give you an idea of the things that can affect it.  However, if I were to give you a time range it would from 2 to 9 months.

Silicone vs. Saline

As silicone implants are inherently softer, the will tend to fee more "normal" sooner that saline.  This is not to say that saline implants won't feel normal, but it make take a little longer, especially if the implants are riding  a bit high, as saline implants often do.

Over the muscle vs. Under the muscle

Not everyone is a candidate to have implants place on top of the chest muscle.  But for those who do -- and this implies that there is enough natural breast tissue to cover the implants and allow placement on top of the muscle -- the implants will feel more normal sooner.  Because the muscle does not need to be stretched out, the implants will feel softer sooner.  Also, you will be less aware of the implants when you contract the chest muscles if they are on top.

Smaller implants vs Larger implants

The size of the implants also makes a difference.  And, larger implants take longer to feel natural.  In fact, overly large implants may never feel as natural as I would like them to .

Smaller normal breast tissue vs. larger normal breast tissue

The amount of your natural breast tissue can also be a factor.  With more tissue, the implants will be more quickly assimilated into the look and the feel of the breast.  It will be more natural and sooner going from a full B cup to a small D cup, than going from a small A cup  to a small D cup.

All these things make a difference, and this is why it is difficult for anyone to give you an absolute.  The other thing that no one can control is how your body makes scar tissue, and how it makes the capsule around the implants.  If you body makes a thicker capsule, it will take longer.

So how can you affect this whole process?

Massage.  Actively massaging your implants will help with the formation of the capsule and will help it to relax making the implants feel more natural.  So, if you are early in to your recovery, just keep up with the massage.  And, of course, discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  He or she will be your best source of information.

Al the best,

David B.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Implants feeling like foreign bodies

+1
Some patients report this sensation and others don't. It may take time for you to adapt. Continue to followup with your plastic surgeon and to report any changes in sensation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Implants will be a part of you in two to three months

+1

There is a trasition after breast augmentation, and many feel like there are two bumps just after. However once the implants and breast tissue settle in together and start to feel and move as one, most only think of their breast and the implant just goes away. If asked you might think about them, or need to remind the tech for a mammogram, but after two to three months the feel will just be 'your' breast.

Breast Augmentation

+1

Every patient is different.  Most patients have a natural feel within 90 days. If you are having issues, discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

BBA Experience

+1

Every patient experience is different.  Usually, by about 3-6 months patients stop noticing their implants.  Having said that, if you have very large implants or if they are palpable or have visible rippling you are less likely to forget about their presence.  Saline implants are also more likely to feel less natural and thus be more noticable.

If your surgery was a long time ago and they're still bothering you, you should see your ps.  It's also important to make sure you don't have a capsular contracture, as that can make one's implants more noticeable too.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Normal breasts after breast implants

+1

The healing process for every patient is different.  Not everyone's experience will be the same.  In general, most patients will feel like their implants have reached a "normal" state by 2-3 months after surgery.  Be sure to speak with your surgeon if you are further out than this and are still having issues.

Naveen Setty, MD

Palpable Implants after Breast Lift and Areolar Reduction.

+1

Without more details about your preoperative condition, as well as the specifics of your surgery, it would be difficult to to tell you exactly why you still feel your implants after surgery.

Implants can be readily felt for several reasons.

1. Saline implants, in general, are stiffer and less natural feeling than silicone implants.

2. Implants placed above the muscle are felt more easily than those placed below the muscle.

3. Implants placed in patient with minimal or thin breast tissue are felt more easily than in those with more breast tissue.

If any of the above apply to you, then you have your answer. A discussion with your plastic surgeon will help you determine the best solution.

Thank you for your question. Best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Implants Still Feel Like 2 Foreign Objects in my Body

+1

When I see my breast augmentation back at three months after surgery, I ask if the implants feel like they are part of them, and almost always the answer is yes. If I ask at a week the patients look as thought they would like to punch me. 

I don't know how long ago your surgery was and where your fit into this time line. Problems like capsular contracture can make the implants feel foreign. 

Unless it is real early in your post-op course, it seems like a visit to your surgeon to discuss these issues would be in order. Thanks for your question, best wishes.