Chin Implant Removal. What Are the Odds of Deformity?

I have a chin implant (5mm porex) that needs to be removed; it has been in for 7 months. I am very concerned about the risk of dimpling and if there is anything I can do to try to prevent.

Risks of Deformity after Porex Chin Implant Removal

+1

While a 5mm chin implant is not horizontally big, the porex material is very adherenty to the overlying tissues. While it can be removed, there are risks of chin dimpling and chin ptosis which may be greater with a porex implant than a silicone one. There is nothing that you can do that will alter whether these risks will occur or not.

Deformity after Chin Implant Removal

+1

It is unlikely that you will have a deformity after removal of a porex implant but this will depend on the location of the implant. Your surgeon will discuss the risks of this complication after an examination. 

Chin Implant Removal and Dimpling

+1

Removal of the chin implant at 7 months may have some dimpling but is not as likely as removal of an implant after a longer period of time.  The dimpling can improve with time.  The key is to find a surgeon who can remove the implant as efficiently as possible and can improve the dimpling if it occurs.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Removal chin implant

+1

Your plastic surgeon would best be able to answer this question. However, you should be okay since it has only been 7 months. Sometimes you may get some skin sag but in your case, probably not.

Adrian Lo, MD

Adrian Lo, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon