After Brachioplasty, if U Work Ur Arms out and Lose Lbs and Build Muscle Will the Skin Retract or Sag? Surgery Was 9/12

Brachioplasty and Working Out

+2

All patients after brachioplasty must heal completely before starting to lift weights, because wound separation can occur.  I have several of my patients who are real gym goers, and, if the skin is tight after surgery, working out only helps the appearance.  The only caveat to this is if you lose a large amount of fat, this may create more loose skin.  That is why I have patients maintain a stable, healthy weight prior to surgery.

Exercising after Brachioplasty...

+2

After having a brachioplasty and completing the recovery process, you should be able to work out your arms in a normal fashion.  By working out your arms, your muscles size will increase which will improve the contour of the arms.  Since you just had a brachioplasty, losing weight should not affect your result, unless you are losing more than thirty pounds (which you would have done before surgery).  Be sure to discuss your questions with your surgeon before you start exercising.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Weight Loss after Arm Lifting?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the arm lifting surgery; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the results of the procedure.  Generally speaking, building muscle mass will help improve the appearance of the arms. However, I would not expect significant skin “retraction” for most patients. Whether the skin will “sag” will depend on how much weight loss occurs.

Again, generally speaking, it is best to  undergo  arm lifting surgery ( and any other type of body contouring surgery) when patients have achieved a long-term stable weight.  Doing so improves the safety of the operation, the outcome of the operation, and helps  decrease chances that additional surgery will be necessary in the event of additional weight loss that occurs after the procedure.

Working out, losing weight and building muscle will make you look good!

+2

Working out, losing weight and building muscle will always make you look better.

Working your arms out and building muscle will improve the contour of your arms, but not effect the skin. Losing weight is always a good idea, and usually leads to sagging skin, but if you just had a brachioplasty, your unlikely to sag so much again that you would need a second brachioplasty.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Post brachioplasty expectations

+2

Your ability to increase your muscle mass by working out are limited by your gender, genetics, and the amount that you work out.  It would be exceedingly unlikely for you to fill out this skin envelope to make it tight.  However, working out will improve your overall health and well being and improve the contour of your arm

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

After Brachioplasty

+2

You would have to build a lot of muscle to better fill out the arm skin, The skin is not likely to retract, nor is it likely to sag unless you lose an large amount of weight, much of it from your arms. 

Enjoy your results, and check with your surgeon about restrictions on upper arm work outs while you are still healing. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.