Lots of Space in my Mouth from Missing Teeth. Can Invisalign Work for Me?

I had work done a about 10 years ago and 4 premolars were removed as a result. I also had to have my wisdom teeth removed because the wasn't enough space in the back. My teeth were perfectly straight after the work done but now the front six teeth (top and bottom) have small gaps between them and I now have a slight overbite. I'm sure the spacing in the front is due to my slight tongue thrusting. Long story short 8 of my teeth are missing. Can I still get invisalign?

Dental Spaces and Invisalign

+2

Invisalign excels at closing spaces resulting from earlier extractions. Retention afterwards will also be very important.

However,  if the patient has an active tongue thrust habit that will need to be addressed by a speech pathologist to avoid the spacing returning after active treatment has been completed.

Dr Gary Kloberdanz

Orthodontist, Greeley, CO

Greeley Orthodontist

Invisalign to Close Spaces

+2

You are a perfect candidate for Invisalign! Just make sure you do something to retain the teeth when you're finished.

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can close spaces very well

+2

Invisalign works very well when closing spaces and should be considered when planning on treatment in situations like yours.  Once complete, since you are aware of a tongue thrust, a bonded wire on the back of your front teeth will help KEEP them straight.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for spacing between the front teeth ...YES

+2

From your description of your teeth and the pictures you posted it seems like Invisalign would work well for you.  Closing a number of small spaces between front teeth is actually one of the things Invisalign does best.  After the spaces are closed you should plan on wearing some type of retainer long term (usually at night is enough) to prevent the spaces from opening up again.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Closing gaps with Invisalign

+1

Invisalign is excellent at closing gaps.The gaps can be accurately measured with Invisalign and hence the treatment is sure guarantee to succeed.

In fact dont tell anyone but in most cases patients with gaps do not even need to see the orthodontist on a regular basis. I had one lady who collected her braces and never came back till she had finished. Her teeth were amazing, and so was my planning. You can see the goofy results on my profile.

Dr R Kumar BDSLDSRCS

Raj Kumar, BDS, LDSRCS
London Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign works great to correct spaced front teeth.

+1

Absolutely! In fact, Invisalign is ideally suited to correct the problem you describe. However, since you have experienced spacing after your first round of orthodontic treatment, it is important that be taken in to account in planning retainers after the spaces are closed. In some cases of this type it makes sense to consider retainer wires bonded to the inner surface of the front teeth rather than removable retainers. i suggest you discuss this with your orthodontist up-front so it is built in to the plan for your treatment.

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist