Will Muscle Tightening During TT Help with Hour Glass Figure?(photo)

Just wanted some information so I can talk to my plastic surgeon better and make a choice if this is the Dr for me He said would fix muscle separation(4 children) What muscle tightening that would give me my smaller hourglass waist back/should I expect it to help my back waist be smalle When I pull my skin up (I guess tummy tuck does this)the mons area is still stretched out/is there muscle tighten that needs to in that area?is that just a cut and should i expect it to lift inner thigh some?

Muscle tightening and what it really does in a tummy tuck.

+3

When discussing the techniques involved in a tummy tuck, nothing causes more confusion than the term "muscle tightening." The excision of the skin makes sense, it's easily seen and understood. The muscle tightening (known as rectus muscle plication) is an often performed component of a tummy tuck, but requires a bit of anatomical understanding to understand why it is performed. Running from north to south on either side of your belly button are 2 muscles known as your rectus muscles. These are the muscles that create the 6-pack in the abdomen. Between the rectus muscles is a thin layer of tissue which stretches easily, but does not contract very well. During pregnancy, that tissue layer is stretched and following pregnancy, it usually remains a bit lax. This laxity (called a diastasis recti) is noted by a bulge which can be seen (usually above the belly button). During the tummy tuck operation, one can plicate or bring the 2 edges of the rectus muscles together to eliminate this bulge. This repair, particularly if the separation was wide, can feel very tight afterwards. Allowing this area to heal is one of the main reasons for the activity restrictions following a tummy tuck. In certain women, this diastasis repair can improve the waist to hip ratio giving a pleasing hour-glass shape.

Beyond the muscle repair, you may be a great candidate for a lower body lift. This incorporates not only the tummy tuck and muscle repair, but extends the incision around to your back which allows for a lift of the thighs and improves the excessive skin in your back.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Changes that can be expected with tummy tuck surgery

+2
A tummy tuck procedure accomplishes excess skin removal, abdominal wall contouring by muscle tightening and reduction of fat excess. Mons laxity can be addressed by proper placement of the pelvic portion of the tummy tuck scar.  Some lifting and tightening of the front and sides of the thigh can be accomplished with tummy tuck. Inner thigh tightening is not seen, in my experience.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty

+1

Whether you wikll have an hourglass shape is a matter of opinion but you are an excellent candidate for a full abdominoplasty with muscle tightening.When you have that much excess skin there is no alternative.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hour glass figure after tummy tuck.

+1

You look like a great candidate for an abodominoplasty (or a lower body lift which will help contour your posterior).  The abdominoplasty will remove the excess skin, tighten your muscle layer, lift up your mons area and also lift and tighten the inner thighs a little bit.  Whether or not it will give you an hour- glass shape really depends upon how long or short waisted you are.  If your rib cage almost abuts your pelvis, you are short waisted and an hour glass figure is not in your future.  If you have a lot of space between your rib cage and your pelvis you will likely get a nice hourglass waistline. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Yes, the muscle tightening helps with contouring and a flatter tummy

+1

Thank you for your questions and the photos.

Yes, the muscle tightening helps with contouring and a flatter tummy.

Based on your photos, you may want to consider a 360 degree belt circumferential tummy tuck in addition to other body contouring procedures.

To be sure which combination of procedures is right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in consultation.

I hope this is helpful for you.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Muscle tightening during abdominoplasty

+1

Results for a tummy tuck  can vary widely depending on who does your surgery and what technique .  I suggest for you to have an extended abdominalplasty using a high lateral tension technique .  Almost all surgeons tighten the rectus muscles but you can also tighten external oblique  muscles to add to hour glass shape .  Typically  some lipo is also done to further shape the result.  Make sure you look at a lot of photos by the surgeon you are considering.  Good luck!

Gregory A. DeVita, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

The muscle tightening during abdominoplasty, give me an hourglass shape? Help!

+1

muscle tightening is one of the three key elements for a timely tech or abdominoplasty. The other two elements are concurrent. Their liposuction and significant skin removal to achieve the best possible outcome. The muscle tightens it is extremely important because it achieves a flat abdomen but also more importantly really enhances the waistline. It can give an hourglass shape of the abdomen, which is highly desirable. This can return the abdominal shape to one that is as good as or many times better than before pregnancy. In the textbook I've authored, the Atlas of abdominoplasty, many of these concepts are carefully described. Good luck. Dr. Joseph Hunstad

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Will Muscle Tightening During TT Help with Hour Glass Figure?(

+1

I really appreciate your going to the trouble to include such good quality photos. It is a big help when we are trying to answer questions. I wish all patients understood that. Unfortunately photos can't tell us much about muscles. That takes an exam. It would be my experience, however, that with all the changes you've had to your abdomen it is highly likely the muscles need to be tightened. And that does lead to an improvement in the waist. The muscles have nothing to do with lifting the mons, but explain to your surgeon that is important to you and he can easily incorporate that into the procedure simply by placement of the scar. You do that by holding the skin up tighly as in your first photo and then marking the scar down low. A word of caution, with this much skin damage it is very likely you will see too much skin relaxation after several months and may need a little further tightening in the lower central tummy area. That is a relatively simple and quick procedure. You are not going to see any significant changes to your back or inner thighs without addressing those area specifically.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

The Right Operation

+1

Congratulations on you decision to proceed with Plastic Surgery!  Operations are successful based on your expectations and the appropriateness of the surgical plan.  It appears that you have excellent volume in your buttock which would be enhanced with a circumferential lift.  If you do not desire a scar in this manner, a full abdominoplasty with liposuction and a muscle plication will give you a great result.  The incision is placed in a manner which will automatically provide for a mons lift.  Typically de-fatting of the mons region can improve you cosmetic appearance at the time of surgery.  I wish you all the best.

Michael S. DeWolfe, MD

TT and muscle tightening

+1

Thank you for sending pictures- it helps. You should expect nice results from your tummy tuck. The procedures not only removes the extra skin, but it tightens the deeper layers as well,  restoring a tight abdominal wall. Pregnancy often results in a stretching of the abdominal wall with separation of the two large vertical abdominal muscles (diastasis recti).These muscles are sutured into their normal anatomic position making them more efficient and this narrows the waist. The inner thighs will not be lifted (unfortunately) although he pubic area will be lifted. Sometimes the procedure can remove skin entirely around the waist (a body lift), and this will result in lifting the buttock, the lateral thighs and tightening the back .

William H. Gorman, MD