What is the Best Lotion to Use for Scar Treatment?

I had a tummy tuck and breast augmentation (no implants) in February and I'm using the lotion the plastic surgeon gave me, but wanted your opinion on what the best lotion is to use and how to use it for scar treatment.

Scar Treatment

+2

I have my patients use Biocorneum, I have been very pleased with the results. It is topical silicone combined with an SPF 30 which is only sold in physician's offices.

Scar Removal

+1

Instead of lotion, silicone tape seems to be better. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Scar Treatment

+1

There are a number of post operative scar products available. Silicon sheeting is the gold standard. The sheeting however, is is somewhat  cumbersome and difficult to wear in exposed areas, therefore patients tend not  to use it long enough for  optimal results. I start my patients using scar products two weeks post operatively.

There are a number of silicone based scar creams available. I like Hybersil, it has a medium potency steroid in it, which seems to make it more effective. The cream should be massaged firmly into the scar, two times a day, for ten to twelve weeks. Additionally, use sun screen on the scar, for at least six months post operatively to reduce hyper-pigmentation.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatments

+1

In truth, most scars will heal just fine given enough time.  Scars go through a maturation process that can take a year or more to complete.  An abdominoplasty scar takes at least a year and a half.  During one of the phases the scar becomes red, raised and hard.  In time it should flatten out and become white.  If the scar becomes too exurberant, wide, red and painful steroid injections can be tried although I have had beter results using 5-FU.  For uncomplicated scars silicone sheeting seems to work well, but it is hard to keep applied to most scar without tape.  A bra is useful in keeping it applied to breast scars.  There are creams that have silicone in them that are usually applied twice a day.  I was recommending Biocorneum, but have switched to HybriSil which contains a little steroid for the pinkness and itching.  For this reason you must get it through a plastic surgeons office.  There is not as much science behind scar creams as we would like and they are often pricey, but many patients feel the investment and bother have paid off for them.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Scarfade and Mederma

+1
I have been using Scarfade which is silicone gel for the post surgical scar. The other profit that works on the scar is Mederma.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Scar management

+1

There is a lot of controversy about this - and really not necessarily one correct answer.  The science behind most scar lotions is somewhat limited.  I think that the silicone containing products, or scar pads do help.

David A. Lickstein, MD