Ive Lost a Large Amount of Volume in my Face Rapidly, Without Weightloss. Can Fillers Fix This Without Complications? (photo)

My face lost a large amount of volume all over. Pictures are 6 months apart. Im only 27. Im 10lbs heavier in the after pic. What could cause this volume loss? Ive seen a doctor but all tests came back normal. I would like to get fillers in both temples and sides of the face right under the zygoma (both sides). My zygoma is currently protruding out and would like to have my face full like in my before pic. Ive circled the areas in the after pic. Are these areas easy to treat with fillers?

Fillers to Restore Volume Loss

+1

Fillers such as Restylane , Juvederm and Radiesse can effectively improve loss of volume in the face.  In my experience, this is best done in a step-wise fashion to avoid a “blown up” or “bloated” appearance.  A couple syringes in one setting, followed by a couple more  a month later,  after things have settled, is a good start.  This can be done with minimal alteration in appearance.   Maintenance each six months or so is usually needed for large volume patients.
A more effective solution is fat injections in which a large volume is injected in one sitting.  This requires more recovery, but can be very effective and produce dramatic results.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or Fat Transfer Can Fix Facial Hollows

+1

Age causes the face to change, making it more hollowed in spots depending on your genetic predisposition and health. If you have ruled out an underlying medical condition by seeing your doctor, then fillers can definitely help you reclaim lost volume. All medical treatments, including nonsurgical ones like injectable fillers, have associated risks. Therefore, I can't say that you wouldn't experience any complications for sure. However, what I can say is that nonsurgical treatments tend to have less related risks and a faster recovery period. You can try fillers to see if you get the improvement you want, then move on to a longer lasting solution like fat transfer once you've determined cosmetic medicine is suitable. 

The areas you have marked on your photo are treatable with fillers and fat transfer.

Stephen Brown, FRCSC

It will be important to determine why you have lost volume and if it is stable

+1

There are a variety of fillers available that can help your correct the volume loss that you have shown.  Each filler has its own advantages and disadvantages so discussing them with your plastic surgeon will be important.  Equally important will be to determine why you have lose volume from your face while gaining weight as well as if this process is stable.  Using fillers in a dynamic volume situation may not be good use of your funds if the results are negated by ongoing changes.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Volumizing the face

+1

Hard to answer your question well given the limited photos available.  That being said, options include fillers, implants, and fat grafting.  Fillers are certainly a reasonable choice to treat these areas.  Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Volumizing the face

+1

There are a variety of ways to add volume to the face including fillers, and fat injections. The right method depends on many factors. A full face photo would allow a more complete evaluation. Most fillers require repeat injections to maintain the results. Fat injections can be longer lasting but are less predictable.

Patti A. Flint, MD

+1

Fillers are grab but the volume needed to improve these contours would be very expensive. In the range of $5,000. I might try fat grafting+ PRP injection s for the same $s spent... 

Fillers for Facial Volume

+1

You appear to be an excellent candidate for facial fillers, of conservative fat transfer to the face.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your options. Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facial Volumization

+1

Hi,

The question you ask is a very good one. As we get older we lose our "baby fat" and our face becomes more defined. This is a more prominent component in men than women. Facial fillers are an excellent way to add volume to the face. I would recommend the use of hyaluronic acid fillers (HA's) for first time patients as these are completely reversible and it is like drawing in pencil versus ink.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Fillers for Facial Volume Loss

+1

The first thing you want to do is try to determine why you are losing facial volume.  It is always best to have a diagnosis before starting treatment.  For hollowness in the temples and below the cheek bone, Sculptra has been used with considerable success.  Like other volume replacements, Sculptra is not permanent.  Volume is gradually "built up" over time with Sculptra injections and can last up to two years.

I encourage you to look further into the cause of your facial volume loss before seeking volume replacement.

Robert G. Anderson, MD

Fillers for volume

+1

Fillers a are great way to improve areas of volume deficiency or atrophy in the face. Based on your photos, it appears that you would be a great candidate for filler treatment. Thanks for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD