Lost facial feeling on the right cheek and lip after zygoma reduction. Will I permanently lose the feeling?

I had zygoma reduction 2 weeks ago, but I noticed I lose feeling on the right cheek(like an upside down triangular area below the right eye and next to nose) and upper right lip,after 2 weeks I still cant feel anything, when I touch the area is like touching a balloon I am a bit scared now, will I permanently lose the feeling?And I had the small titanium plates to hold the breaking zygoma arches toghther,is it better to take the plates out once the breaking bones grows back together?

Numbness after zygoma reduction

+1

The nerve affected by your zygoma reduction is the infra-orbital nerve. It is near your surgery and is probably malfunctioning because of swelling. Feeling is likely to slowly return over 3-9 months.

Titanium plates can be removed once the bone heals. Unless you can feel them, there is not need to do so. 

Be patient!

+1

Numbness after such significant surgery is common, and can take 3-6 months to improve, so be patient with the healing process.  The plates can stay in unless you are having problems with them (e.g. they are palpable)

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon