Lost Confidence in My Plastic Surgeon. Need Correction. Now What?

Dr X at very respected hospital Brow & lid lift. Brow: fine. Lids: better, BUT asymmetry. Dr X: "I removed too much fat, will fix w/ injection" Return: Witness Dr X, staff fail to respond to px in SCA. 30 mins of chaos Dr Y, other practice: "Too much lid removed" Return: Dr X: "I did NOT remove fat, asymmetry previously masked by lids. Surgery nearly perfect". Unasked, "SCA px is fine" Return: Dr X's partner: "I can perform injection, minor brow lift to correct asymmetry, for reduced fee"

+1

The related history is somewhat difficult to follow but it sounds like you've received inconsistent information. There is nothing wrong with a second (or third in your case) opinion and this will be helpful for all involved. I would seek a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic Surgeon to discuss your options. Part of the problem is that cosmetic surgery is an art and it's not unusual for different surgeons to offer different solutions. However, you should receive consistent answers from your plastic surgeon. If in doubt, seek a second opinion for clarity.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lost Confidence in Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.  The most important bond between patient and physician is mutual trust. If that is lost, then it is time to find another surgeon. If your confidence in the surgeon is shaken but not lost, then request to speak with the surgeon one more time. The original surgeon has a vested interest in ensuring your happiness, and he/she can generally revise the work more easily and more inexpensively than a new surgeon.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Once Confidence Lost - Find Other Plastic Surgeon

+1

An optimal patient- physician relationship is key to best possible results and optimal care. Once patient confidence is lost that is no longer possible. The best option at this point is to let the final results of your procedure take place over the first year then seek the consultation from another plastic surgeon. Do your  homework and select one that is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery if available a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lost Confidence in My Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you have lost confidence in your plastic surgeon you obviously need another surgeon. Find another surgeon experienced in facial cosmetic surgery (facial plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon) to evaluate you and address your questions. A copy of your operative report and pre-op pictures will be helpful during future consultations.

Your description is hazy

+1

However it is obvious that you no longer have confidence in your surgeon. Waiting about 12 months and then obtaining a second opinion from an experienced Oculoplastics surgeon or Facial plastic surgeon would be my recommendation.

You can find an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon at ASOPRS dot org.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lid surgery opinions from Dr. X, Y, and Z

+1

Confidence in any surgical practice depends on clear and consistent communication, with explanations that may sense. Also the staff play in important role in the communication chain. Nothing undermines confidence like disagreement between surgeons, partners and their staff. You might wish to let your result heal in and wait six to twelve months, and they start again with a new practice or fresh approach.