Do I Weigh Too Much for a Tummy Tuck?

I currently lost 35lb I now am 5'4 179lbs do I qualify for a TummyTuck or am I to big?

Ready for Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+3

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your weight loss.

There is no magic  weight to reach prior to proceeding with the tummy tuck surgery.  Ideally you will be at a “stable weight” at which point you do not expect significant fluctuation of weight after surgery. Significant further weight loss after surgery may  lead to  physical changes  that will necessitate additional surgery  to correct.

At some point you will be physically and emotionally ready for surgery.  I hope the following words of advice will be helpful...

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Weight loss before Tummy tuck

+1

Being a candidate requires one to be in good health and you have taken steps to make that happen; Congrats!. As for the weight, best time to do a TT is after your weight stabilizes. Best way to reduce complicaiton is to have a body mass index (height to weight ration) of less than 30. In the end you want to have surgery without complications so that you can enjoy the quality of your life and good health. See a BC plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Candidate for an abdominoplasty

+1

It sounds like you should be a candidate for an abdominoplasty.  An examination and consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon should answer your questions.  

Tummy Tuck and Weight

+1

It is always best to be near your ideal weight before body contouring procedures.  This is not always possible for a multitude of reasons.  So there is no absolute rule about the weight the person is before having tummy tuck surgery.  You need to be at least at a stable weight, not gaining, to consider surgery.  Additionally, a few studies have shown that complication rates following tummy tuck surgery are much higher in paitents consider overweight (Body Mass Index of over 30).  From the height and weight you provided, I calculate your BMI to be 30.7 which is just over that mark.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Weight stability is important

+1

There is no set height and weight a patient needs to attain before qualifying for tummy tuck surgery. While it's best for patient to be as close to their ideal body weight prior to surgery, this is not always practical. I think it's more important to me at a stable weight when pursuing cosmetic body recontouring than at a specific weight. The way the procedure is performed may vary a little bit depending upon where that weight stability occurs. Patients that have more residual fat may need to be approached with an alternate technique to address the residual fat and extra skin. A lipo-abdominoplasty is the type of procedure that may be appropriate for patient that is a little heavier than ideal. It's best to discuss these issues with your surgeon and determine how best to proceed.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

+1
There is no absolute amount to weigh. However, the procedure is not best for obese patients and a patient should be at a weight that they can maintain postoperatively

David L. Abramson, MD

Do I weigh too much for a tummy tuck?

+1

There is no one answer for this question and photos would certainly hep us give you advise.

almost certainly you can get a better profile and contour to your abdomen with a tummy tuck. You might also want to consider liposuction to help with contour also.  Your eventual result will depend on your fat distribution.  If it is mostly extra-abdominal, you could have a great result with great contour.  If you have a lot of intrabdominal fat, you may still have a prominent abdomen. Your contour will be improved, but less so.

You need to see a surgeon, and have him give you a exam and consultation.

Good Luck.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

You don't have to be skinny to have a pleasing shape.

+1

Often times a tummy tuck can improve your shape even if you are over weight.  Of course there can be more improvement the more weight you lose.  I have done many tummy tucks on people who are plus size and have been able to improve their shape even though they are overweight.  You can check out my before and after photos of tummy tucks on my website.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Do I Weigh Too Much for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Very hard to advise without a posted photo. My guess is you can have a full TT but another 15 to 20 pounds lost would help. 

Optimal weight for a Tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck usually works best when the problem is more one of excess skin and muscle laxity .  It may be less effective when patients are generally overweight, particularly when there is more intraabdominal fat and a rounded "beer-belly" type shape.  It is therefore best to be as close to your ideal body weight as possible  to realize the best result.    

Stephen Delia, MD