My Surgeon Removed 25 lbs From My Belly With A TT- When Will I See That Weight Loss On The Scale?

i need to know if i'm going to drop those 25 lbs my surgon removed for my tummy tuck. now it shows only 9 lbs on the scale. my surgery was done 9 dys ago. plese advise. Thanks Lynne

Weight after body contouring surgery

+2

I takes several weeks for your body to mobilize the fluid that it holds onto during and after surgery.  This fluid retention is a reaction to injury and surgery is controlled injury.  I tell my patients not to weight themselves for at least a month after surgery and preferably wait until they are back on their regular exercise and diet routine, usually about 8 weeks for tummy tuck. 

Realizing weight loss as a consequence of large amount of abdominal wall tissue removed

+2

It may take several weeks for you to see more of this 25 pound weight removal due to the swelling/fluid retention following surgery. You may not realize all of this for a variety of reasons. It would be important in the future to exercise regularly and eat appropriately.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+2

most of the loss should be seen by 6 to 8 weeks..  swelling does continue to diminish for months after that

Weight after Tummy Tuck?

+2

It is normal for patients to “retain” fluid after surgery. This will throw off your weight calculations until the fluid is mobilized ( and excreted). This may take a few weeks to complete.

Best wishes for the remainder of your recovery.