Lost over 100 Lbs. No Children, is a Mini Tummy Tuck a Good Choice?

I am 28 yrs. I don't have kids & don't have anyone to plan for that in the near future. I have been working extremely hard to get my results. I am considering a mini tummy tuck to help flatten my tummy.I have always dreamt of having a flat tummy to wear a 2 piece bathing suit because I have been an overweight person all my life. At this point in my life I am at a crossroads. I hope to have kids in the next 3-5 years, however,I am confused whether I should wait until after kids or do it now.HELP!

Tummy tuck after 100lbs weight loss and plan to have children in 3-5 yeras

+1

100lbs is a BIG deal, Congrats. You would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck from your history BUT if you plan to have children I would wait. A tummy tuck done prior will be undone and you would need another procedure. Alternativley you can just get the skin removed and not have muscle tightening, then after pregancy have more skin removed and then get the muscle tightened. Pl understand that you would not get the full effect of a tummy tuck by just removing the skin. So this suggestion is a value judgement for you to make.

Tummy Tuck after Weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. While the probability is that you will need a full abdominoplasty after that much weight loss, you will need to have an in person exam and consultation to verify and to determine if this the appropriate time to have surgery based on your objectives, lifestyle, and lifestage.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss; I'm sure it wasn't easy.  If you lost 100 pounds, even without seeing photos, you probably need a full tummy tuck, not a mini.  I think it's fine to proceed with a tummy tuck even if you plan later pregnancies.  The pregnancy may restretch the skin, requiring a second tummy tuck or a revision. As long as you are ware of that, there is no problem proceeding with a tummy tuck now.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck after large weight loss

+1

You could have a tummy tuck at any time. It should not interfere with you having a pregnancy in the future. Also, it would help you complete your weight loss "journey" and I congratulate you for it. I see many patients after excessive weight loss and am President of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Timing of surgery?

+1

Not only with tummy tucks, but all elective surgery has an umbrella of specific recommendations re- timing and ideal candidates.  Only a consultation with a specialist in cosmetic surgery can determine if you are the best candidate.  Even if all condtions are not fully optimal, surgery can be performed with good results---for you and your situation.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Tummy tuck after weight loss, but before children

+1

Most people who have lost a large amount of weight will need a tummy tuck (as a minimum) to remove loose and/or sagging skin.  Later pregnancy can reproduce this problem.  Ideally, you would wait until you are through having children, and then address this problem surgically.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be proud of this accomplishment.

The best candidates for breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery are  women who have completed pregnancies, have reached a long-term stable weight,  who are medically, psychologically, socially and financially stable,  and who have  a positive “support system" to assist with perioperative care.

If you are not planning on having children in the near future, then undergoing tummy tuck surgery (given your weight-loss history) is reasonable.  This should be  done with the understanding that further surgery may be necessary after completion of pregnancies.

If you meet  (at least the majority) of these criteria, the best place to start would be with consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.