Is my Loss of Sensation Dangerous?

I am 22years old and I had breast implants 1 year ago going from 32AA to 32B/C. Although they turned out perfectly I lost sensation in my right nipple. This did not worry me at first but over the past 2 months the area of desensitisation has increased and now the majority of my breast has no feeling. Also, the scars under my breasts are still quite predominant and at times sore and itchy. The appearance and shape of the breast however is unchanged. Should I be worried and if so what should I do?

Loss of sensation extending over breast

+3

The loss of nipple sensation as described in the other answers can occur after breast augmentation surgery.  Clinically it is thought that at a year these changes are permanent.  Rather than describing an increasing area of sensory loss,  it might be expected that you report some normalization of sensation as the healing process continues.  I suggest that you follow up with your surgeon or seek another consultation in order to have your concerns fully evaluated with a physical exam.  At the very least,  he or she may be able to recommend something to improve the hypertrophy of your scars.  Hope this is helpful.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

There is no danger with loss of nipple sensation

+2

loss of nipple sensation is not dangerous, and generally it does not get worse with time. most plastic surgeons feel that about 10-15% of their patients loose some or most of one breasts sensation.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Loss of sensation following breast augmentation

+1

I would not be too worried about this loss of sensation as there is usually not much that you can do about it, except hope that it will return, which it often does, although it may take months.  It is a bit odd that the area has increased recently and you are obviously concerned enough to post the question on this forum, so I would say your best bet would be to go back to see your surgeon for some reassurance.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Induced sensory loss should improve with time, not worsen

+1

Surgical sensory loss may be permanent or temporary, however if it is permanent is should not increase with time, it should lessen with time as the sensory nerves regenerate.  My recommendation is to be seen by your Plastic Surgeon and consider a neurologist evaluation as well.  I think you should definitely have a progressive sensory loss in any part of the body evaluated.  

Good luck!

Kimberley O'Sullivan, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Sensory loss after implants

+1

About 10-15% of patients lose sensation after breast augmentation. As for the area expanding months later does not make sense to me.  Long term you just have to be careful not to sustain a burn over the area that is insensate.

Breast augmentation and nipple sensation loss

+1

Loss or alteration of nipple or breast skin sensitivity is  not a rare sequelae of breast augmentation surgery. It typically results from either a stretching or cutting of the nerves that enter from the lateral chest during formation of the implant pocket. Over time it may improve or resolve, but can be permanent. You may see some improvement over the next six months or so. In any case, it does not represent an ongoing or new problem, so I wouldn't worry about it. In regard to your scars you may benefit from cortisone injections if they are raised and it would be worthwhile having your surgeon take a look at them.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Loss of sensation is usually temporary

+1

Loss of sensation to the nipple and/or breast following breast augmentation is usually temporary.  I wouldn't worry about it too much since you're only 2 months after surgery.  Chances are that you will regain partial or even full sensation to the nipple/breast.  It can take up to 2 years to really see what the final outcome will be.  With regard to your scars--2 months is also in the early stages of wound healing and scar maturation.  Everything you described is perfectly normal.  I would go back to see your PS to determine if there are things he/she can suggest to accelerate the scar maturation process like over the counter creams, silicone sheeting, massage, etc.  Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

Sensory loss after breast implants

+1

Loss of sensation after breast augmentation is not dangerous, though often continues to get better. Increasing sensory loss in the breast isn't explained by breast augmentation and perhaps a visit with your surgeon will help sort things out.

peterejohnsonmd

Loss of Sensation after Breast Augmentation

+1

While loss of sensation is possible after breast augmentation, it is very rare.  At one year, any changes should be constant.  So if you are experiencing new changes with your breast, then you should return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD