Losing Weight After Tummy Tuck?

I have about 30 lbs to lose - well would like to lose , most of it in my butt and thighs .. but everyone knows you cant pick were it comes off from .. well if I dont lose all the weight before my surg , does my stomach become flabby and excess skin again if I lose it after surg ..

Weight loss following a tummy tuck.

+1

It is possible to lose weight in the abdomen after a tummy tuck which can cause the appearance of laxity in the results. Typically, this is mitigated by the tummy tuck procedure itself (removal of fat during the procedure). The usual recommendation is to lose the weight before undergoing the procedure, although this is not always done. Regardless, weight loss to an ideal body weight is encouraged for health reasons beyond cosmesis. If laxity becomes an issue, many times a small revision is all thats needed to correct it.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after surgery

+1

How your skin reacts from weight loss will vary person to person.  30 pounds will probably not yield a large amount of loose skin, so you will probably be fine.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss after Tummy Tuck

+1

Although modest weight loss after a tummy tuck procedure might not create too much of a change, as a general rule I tell patients to try hard to lose enough of their extra weight before surgery, so that the firmness and smoothness that we create at surgery will be long-lasting.  A 30 lb weight loss is large enough that I would expect your skin would look or feel a little too loose after the surgery, due to "deflation".  If you could lose 15-20 lbs, then the rest could come off following surgery without affecting the end result.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Massive Weight Loss after Tummy Tuck

+1

After a well carried out Tummy Tuck, weight loss will have little effect if the loss isn't massive. 

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Weight Loss after Tummy Tuck?

+1

30 lbs of weight loss after tummy tuck may have very little effect on the skin, depending upon how tight the closure is. I would recommend asking the surgeon who will be performing your surgery for an opinion on this.

Loosing weight prior to a body contouring surgery will definitely improve your overall result

+1

This is a commonly asked question.  When ever you consider a major body contouring procedure it is best to be at or nearly at your ideal weight.  If you are carrying all of your weight in your thighs and buttocks area it is unlikely that loosing this area would have any impact on your planned abdominoplasty other than you may be disproportionate or bottom heavy.  My suggestion would be to loose at least 15 pounds prior to the surgery.  You did not mention your height and weight but this would also come into the equation. I do not think there is much of a risk of your skin getting loose even if you lose 30 pounds.   It is important to find a plastic surgeon in your area who is board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Losing Weight After Tummy Tuck?

+1

As a general rule, it is best to be as close to your ideal weight at the time of TT. Without being able to see photos and make an educated guess, I would pass the decision to your surgeon. 30 pounds is not a huge amount, and if there is not a lot of fat excess in the abdominal wall it may well be ok to proceed at your current weight with little risk of having laxity after some more weight loss. Check with your surgeon. If you have not yet seen one...

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.