Will Losing Weight After Breast Lift with Implants Effect my Results?

Weight Loss Can Make Breasts Sag

+2

History is a good predictor. If you have lost weight in the past and it has affected your breast size then yes - the more you lose, the more likely your breast is to sag. In my experience for women weighing over 120 pound losing 10 pound or less doesn't have much of an effect on most.

Losing Weight After Breast Lift

+1
Each surgeon has different experience with weight loss post surgery. Typically, weight loss unless it is significant (more than 20 pounds) will not affect the results. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

+1

All depends on how much weight loss. If, for example you are thinking of losing 25 or more pounds, you would be well served to lose the weight before planning your surgery. If on the other hand you are thinking 10 pounds or less, it is most unlikely that your breast surgery planning would change. 

Discuss with your surgeon. All the best. 

Weight loss after breast lift

+1

Usually a loss of 20 pounds or less will not effect the breast lift with implants but over 20 pounds can lead to the loss of breast tissue with more sagging and the patient may require either filling the implants up a little bigger or putting in bigger implants or simply just going through another breast lift.

John S. Poser, MD

Losing weight after lift/aug

+1

it will depend on many factors including the amount of weight loss and the quality of the skin and fat content and the size of the implants etc..

the best advise is to lose the weight if necessary, before the surgery and then have a stable weight for a few months, followed by the surgery, rather than lose a lot of weight afterwards.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Weight Loss after Breast Lift?

+1

Generally speaking, significant weight loss (for example greater than 10 pounds) can potentially affect the results of breast lifting surgery. For this reason, it is best for patients to achieve as close to a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing breast lifting  or any other type of elective plastic surgical procedure. Achieving this long-term stable weight prior to breast lift  will minimize the chances of further surgery will be necessary (in the event of breast changes associated with weight loss that occurs after the surgical procedure).

Weight loss following breast surgery.

+1

The effect of weight loss on the results of a breast operation vary. The answer depends upon the amount of weight lost and the fatty content of the breasts. In women without much breast tissue to begin with, weight loss may have a very minimal affect on the appearance. In women with breasts of larger size, the fat content of the breast is higher and thus weight loss can affect the appearance dramatically. For patients with active plans to lose weight, we usually suggest weight loss to a target goal prior to undergoing cosmetic surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Effect of weight loss on breast lift with implants

+1

This is a great question with a relatively complex answer.  If the implant provides the majority of breast volume, then weight loss will have relatively little effect.  If the breast structure is relatively fatty then weight loss will have a greater effect than in a breast that has mostly a glandular structure.  How to tell the difference?  A fatty breast is softer than a glandular breast.

Regardless of these issues, relatively small amounts of weight loss probably won't have a major effect.

I always recommend to my patients who are contemplating weight loss to do so before they undergo breast surgery, as the long term result will be better

John Q. Cook, MD

Effect of Weight Loss on Breast Lift/Augmentation

+1

You present an excellent question that is very important to address prior to your surgery.  The breasts are composed of both glandular tissue (breast tissue) and fatty tissue.  The composition of each breast varies and depending on how much fatty tissue makes up your breast will determine how much weight loss will affect your result.

Another consideration is the amount of weight loss you are anticipating in relation to your overall body weight.  The more weight you lose, the greater the effect will be on your breasts.

In summary, because breasts also contain fatty tissue, they will decrease in size with weight loss.  Whether or not this will significantly affect your result can be determined by your plastic surgeon with a thorough examination.

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon