Seem to Be Losing More Hair Than Gaining 7 Months After Transplant?

Im 24 years old and had my first hair transplant 7 months ago in the west regent street clinic in glasgow. I had around 1200 grafts inserted into my frontal area mainly to fix my fading hair line and thicken the rest up. The only thing 7 months in uve noticed is i have a thin hair line again but generally my hair is a lot thinner everywhere else. I went for a review a month ago for a opinion and they said they were happy with the progress and that itll thicken still - i just felt id see more now

It looks worse before it gets better.

It looks worse before it gets better.  It usually takes 6 to 12 months to see a difference. You still may have more to gain!  In certain cases, if you do not plan your surgery with further hair loss in mind, you may end up more more hair loss than hair gain.  This is one of the reasons why many doctors do not encourage hair transplant in younger men (who may lose more hair).

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

5757 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Hair Transplant Growth

After a hair transplant, new growth can continue to thicken and mature for up to 18 months. So it is possible that you will see improvement. However, 24 is the youngest age of candidacy at most clinics, and if you presented to a reputable clinic, it stands to reason that your hair loss is fairly progressive. And at this young age it is unlikely that your hair loss days are over. While hair transplant is permanent, it does not stop the progression of future balding. This is why most clinics recommend that you get a hair transplant well into your thirties or even older.

At this rate, you will probably want a second hair transplant in the future. I advise you to consult a dermatologist or hair loss specialist who can prescribe Propecia in the meantime. But also be aware of the potential side effects with this drug.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

819 N Harbor Blvd
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Hair loss after a hair transplant.

If you are 24 and bald enough to have a hair transplant, you are likely to have a progressive balding pattern. Hair loss does not stop with a hair transplant. The transplants may become longer and a bit fuller looking but , in all likelihood,  you will continue to lose hair.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

3324 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94609