Losing/ Maintaining Weight After Breast Reduction Surgery?

I booked for my breast reduction surgery in November. As per my doctor, I will go from G to C size (she will do what suits my frame). I've been told losing weight after surgery will get the breasts to be sagging. I do workout everyday and intend to continue after healing from the surgery. My dietitian told me I have most fat in the midsection. no problem in hips and thighs Appreciate your advice... shall I continue my 30min -1 hour routine workout or push myself to reach my goal before surgery?

REACH YOUR WEIGHT GOAL FIRST!

+1

LOSING/MAINTAINING WEIGHT AFTER BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY

I would suggest trying to reach your goal and losing as much weight as you possibly can before surgery.

It would be not be wise to go into breast reduction surgery knowing that you want to lose more weight.  Why risk losing more breast mass after a breast reduction? If you lose weight after your breast reduction surgery, you may require another breast lift or reduction or, depending on the amount of weight you lose, you may even require breast augmentation or implants.

In the past I have performed breast reductions on patients who went on to lose much more weight after their reduction.  They eventually required another lift and augmentation.  I would suggest waiting until you reach your weight goal before undergoing breast reduction surgery.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Weight Loss and Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

If you lose a significant amount of weight after your breast reduction, there is a slight chance that the shape of the breasts could change.  We usually recommend that patients get close to their goal weight prior to undergoing a breast reduction as weight loss can have a significant effect on the size of your breasts.  This issue also greatly depends on the breast reduction technique your surgeon uses, so discuss this in detail with your doctor.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Weight loss before/after breast reduction surgery

+1

There a few things to consider when attempting weight loss while in the midst of bresat reduction surgery.  One is that if this surgery is for medical necessity, an overall weight loss could drop your breast size enough that insurance wouldn't consider it medically necessary.  With your current breast size I don't think this should be a big concern for you.  Second keep in mind is that when you lose weight, you will still lose weight in your breasts after breast reduction surgery, so they might be smaller in size once you reach your goal weight.  If this is acceptable to you, then I wouldn't change your current diet/exercise regimen.  Third is that you re right that there is a possibility of having your breasts drop/sag after further weight loss.  Revisions could be necessary.  I would discuss this with your board-certified plastic surgeon as her physical exam and knowledge of your breasts would have the best chance of knoing what culd happen with furth weight loss.  Good luck and congratulations on your decision for surgery.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Goal weight and breast reduction

+1

It is always best to get to your goal weight before undergoing breast surgery, because the size will fluctuate with weight changes.

Breast Reduction and Weight Concerns?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Generally speaking, it is in patients' best interests to achieve their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing this procedure. Doing so will allow your plastic surgeon to know exactly “what they are working with” and will help minimize the  chance that further surgery will be necessary (in the event of future weight gain/loss).

I hope this answers your question.