Is losing this much hair a problem or a sign of anything bad? (photo)

I'm 18 years old, 5ft7 and severely overweight (260pnds) I've always has long thick curly hair but over the past 2 years a lot has fallen out in the shower, at the same time I've had family issues and personal problems which cause stress and anxiety. I notice that sometimes my scalp is sore, itchy and bumpy, I have always used tresemme. I took a pic of the amount of hair that fell out in the shower today please tell me if this may be a problem? Remember I have hair down to my waist. PLEASE HELP.

What is Normal Hair Loss?

+1

It is normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs per day. If you wash your hair everyday then most hairs go down the drain and you don't really see these 50 to 100 hairs. If you wash your hair once per week you will see a lot more hairs the day you wash as that will be the day that a lot get pulled out.

Anyone who has an itchy sore and bumpy scalp should see a dermatologist or hair specialist to evaluate exactly the cause. There are at least 10 conditions that can give a sore, itchy and bumpy scalp and the diagnosis can only be made by examining the scalp up close.

In general, if you feel you are losing more hair than you normally lost each day then it's abnormal. You would want to see your physician not only for a thorough scalp exam but also to get blood work for iron, thyroid, blood levels and possibly hormone studies as well.

Stress can cause hair loss for some individuals (but certainly not everyone). It would not be advisable to assume that all your hair loss is from stress and not pursue a more detailed course of evaluation.

Toronto Dermatologist