I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. Can I Lose Weight to Get Smaller Breasts?

I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. My breasts are a size 34G. I lost some weight and went from an H to a G. Will I be able to lose weight to get down to a DD or even a DDD. My back, neck, and shoulder are constantly in pain. Exercising and everyday activities are uncomfortable, and it's also taking a large toll on my self esteem.

Breast reduction by weight loss

Because the breasts are mainly comprised of fatty tissue, you will find that losing weight also reduces the size of your breasts naturally. However, it would be difficult to say by exactly how much of a reduction you may experience with further weight loss. 

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

BR to get a lot smaller

Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty patients are among the most satisfied of all plastic surgery patients. Large breasts (macromastia) can often decrease quality of life for a woman. With breast reduction, you can have smaller breasts that sit higher on your chest wall. You will also find relief in your neck and back with the decrease in weight and more ergonomic position of your breasts.
There are several different variations of breast reduction, differing by size, and amount of incisions; procedure; and the results. The different types of reduction techniques include: The wise pattern breast lift, the anchor shaped incision, and the donut mastopexy.
1. The wise pattern breast lift involves an anchor-shaped incision around the natural contour of the breast. To most patients surprise, this scar is mostly hidden under the inferior aspect of the breast. However, the scar around the nipple/areola is visible. Most patients heal this anchor type scar very well and are satisfied with smaller areola in exchange for the scars. This surgery is used when there is a lot of excess skin that needs to be removed in order to lift the breast and give it a more aesthetic shape.
2. Often times, the anchor shaped incision can me diminished to create a lollipop or J shaped incision. This results in some excess skin at the inferior aspect of the breast near the breast crease that will flatten out over a 6 month period. Some patients are willing to tolerate this excess skin for 6 months in exchange for a smaller scar. This is a personal decision that each patient can make.
3. The donut mastopexy involves creating an incision around the areola and removing a doughnut-shaped area of skin. This surgery can be used for patients that need a smaller amount of lifting. This surgery results in a scrunched-up look to the breast skin surrounding the areola for about 6 months before it flattens out. Patients need to be understanding and tolerant of this in exchange for an areola-only scar. These patients do run the risk of areola widening as well.
Insurance may cover some of these cases when back pain, shoulder bra-notching, and rashes under the breast are present. Insurances vary though and your doctor can submit a report and photos to see if your insurance approves your procedure.
The ideal size depends on the size of your hips and waist. Your surgeon will be able to guide you in this decision.
The risks of the procedure include bleeding, infection, bruising, poor scarring, pain, swelling, and changes to nipple and areola sensation, and rarely, partial or total nipple loss. The recovery time is usually a couple weeks if all goes well. In general, however, breast reduction patients are some of the most satisfied and grateful plastic surgery patients. This is truly a life-changing procedure. In my area, the cost ranges from 6700-8500. Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

8929 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Weight loss influences breast size to a certain extent

There is definitely a component of breast size that is due to fat volume. Everyone is different and some women tend to gain or lose weight more in their breasts than others. If you have lost weight in your breasts in the past, you are likely one of those people. Although, the extent of your breast size in respect to your height, weight and goal size are unlikely to allow you to arrive at the ideal size breasts with weight loss alone. You may consider weight loss to a more ideal Body Mass Index and then being assessed by a plastic surgeon regarding your candidacy for breast reduction surgery. 

Rachel Streu, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

5333 McAuley Drive
Ann Arbor, Mi 48106

Can I Lose Weight to Get Smaller Breasts?

Being as petite as you are and with such disproportionately large breasts, it is unlikely that weight loss will make enough of a difference for you. I advise that you consult with a plastic surgeon about having a breast reduction. This surgery can make a tremendous difference in improving your quality of life. 

Orna Fisher, MD

6539 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89119

Weight loss and breast reduction

You may be able to reduce the size of your breasts with diet and exercise, however it is very difficult to spot reduce fat. You may want to consider breast reduction surgery if you get down to a lower weight but still have large breasts.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Correlation between weight reduction and breast size

Every woman with large breasts has a different correlation between weight reduction and breast size “response”. However, if your breasts reduce significantly in response to weight loss there is a possibility that they will also sag significantly as a result

Fred Suess, MD

1700 California St
San Francisco, CA 94109

Weight loss and Breast size

Based on your height, current weight, and the size of your breasts, it is unlikely that weight loss alone will achieve the results you want. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Breast Reduction Necessary

Based on the size of your breasts, it is unlikely that weight loss will significantly reduce the breast.  A breast reduction operation will address all of your concerns and should make your daily life much more comfortable.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

Weight loss and breast size

It is possible that weight loss will change your breast size somewhat ( depending on how much weight you lose and what percentage of your breast is fatty). However--- with your current size, I doubt you will lose enough weight to get you to a point where you don't feel like you need a breast reduction. Keep in mind that the weight loss will also reduce the rest of your body and so the proportions will stay the same.. I suspect you will ultimately want a breast reduction and that will make a substantial change in your back , shoulder, neck pain and allow you to exercise more easily..

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

5550 Friendship Blvd
Chevy Chase, MD 20815

Lose weight to get smaller breasts?

It is difficult to answer your question without examining you and knowing how dense or how fatty your breasts are.  However, breast size typically don't change significantly with with moderate weight loss and are likely to still have a saggy shape leading to continued heaviness and pull on your back, neck and shoulders. You sound like a good candidate for a breast reduction procedure. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have a detailed consultation on the procedure and  best recommendations to get the results you desire. 

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

9850 Genesee Ave.
La Jolla, CA 92037