I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. Can I Lose Weight to Get Smaller Breasts?

I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. My breasts are a size 34G. I lost some weight and went from an H to a G. Will I be able to lose weight to get down to a DD or even a DDD. My back, neck, and shoulder are constantly in pain. Exercising and everyday activities are uncomfortable, and it's also taking a large toll on my self esteem.

Breast reduction by weight loss

+2
Because the breasts are mainly comprised of fatty tissue, you will find that losing weight also reduces the size of your breasts naturally. However, it would be difficult to say by exactly how much of a reduction you may experience with further weight loss. 

Correlation between weight reduction and breast size

+1
Every woman with large breasts has a different correlation between weight reduction and breast size “response”. However, if your breasts reduce significantly in response to weight loss there is a possibility that they will also sag significantly as a result

Fred Suess, MD

Weight loss and Breast size

+1
Based on your height, current weight, and the size of your breasts, it is unlikely that weight loss alone will achieve the results you want. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Necessary

+1
Based on the size of your breasts, it is unlikely that weight loss will significantly reduce the breast.  A breast reduction operation will address all of your concerns and should make your daily life much more comfortable.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast size

+1
It is possible that weight loss will change your breast size somewhat ( depending on how much weight you lose and what percentage of your breast is fatty). However--- with your current size, I doubt you will lose enough weight to get you to a point where you don't feel like you need a breast reduction. Keep in mind that the weight loss will also reduce the rest of your body and so the proportions will stay the same.. I suspect you will ultimately want a breast reduction and that will make a substantial change in your back , shoulder, neck pain and allow you to exercise more easily..

G. Wesley Price, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight to get smaller breasts?

+1
It is difficult to answer your question without examining you and knowing how dense or how fatty your breasts are.  However, breast size typically don't change significantly with with moderate weight loss and are likely to still have a saggy shape leading to continued heaviness and pull on your back, neck and shoulders. You sound like a good candidate for a breast reduction procedure. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have a detailed consultation on the procedure and  best recommendations to get the results you desire. 

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

It May Take Significant Weight Loss to Notice Changes in Breast Size

+1

There’s no question that breast size fluctuates with changes in body weight.  Unfortunately, it takes a significant weight loss to see noticeable changes in breast size.  Although there’s no doubt that weight loss would provide health benefits for you, it would most likely not affect your breast size in a significant way.
When breast volume actually decreases following generalized weight loss, it’s not unusual to develop associated breast sag.  The vast majority of patients considers this an unsatisfactory outcome and often desire breast lift surgery to correct this problem.
In most cases of severe breast hypertrophy, breast reduction surgery is necessary to correct the problem.  This procedure not only reduces breast size, but also lifts the breast into normal position and reduces areola size.  It improves symptoms associated with breast enlargement and improves quality of life.
Your history suggests that breast reduction should definitely be a consideration.  You have classic symptoms including back, neck and shoulder pain.  You also have decreased exercise tolerance which might be the cause of our weight gain.  Finally, it’s starting to affect your psychological well being.  Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon might be time well spent, and a good investment in your future.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction with weight loss

+1

At 5'1", the ideal body weight is approximately 110lbs. Furthermore, it is likely you will sustain additional decreases in size with subsequent weight loss. However, only your genetics will determine the degree of size reduction. Subseqent reductions could be achieved wtih breast tissue removal or liposuction.

Will weight loss make my breasts smaller?

+1

Based on your height and weight, you are slightly overweight.  According to the body mass index chart, a weight of 127 will put you in the healthy range of body weight for your height.

You can try losing the extra 8 pounds (please lose the weight slowly-crash diets are not healthy and even dangerous!), but I doubt it will make your symptoms go away.

You may consider breast reduction if your symptoms do not go away.

Best of Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Breast Size

+1

Your weight will definitely affect your breast size. As you gain weight, you'll breasts will get larger and as you lose weight your breasts will get smaller.  That said, based on your current breast size, it is unliklely that you will be able to get breasts as small as you desire with weight loss alone. You are likely to need either a reduction and/or a breast lift.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon