I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. Can I Lose Weight to Get Smaller Breasts?

I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. My breasts are a size 34G. I lost some weight and went from an H to a G. Will I be able to lose weight to get down to a DD or even a DDD. My back, neck, and shoulder are constantly in pain. Exercising and everyday activities are uncomfortable, and it's also taking a large toll on my self esteem.

Lose weight to get smaller breasts?

+1
It is difficult to answer your question without examining you and knowing how dense or how fatty your breasts are.  However, breast size typically don't change significantly with with moderate weight loss and are likely to still have a saggy shape leading to continued heaviness and pull on your back, neck and shoulders. You sound like a good candidate for a breast reduction procedure. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have a detailed consultation on the procedure and  best recommendations to get the results you desire. 

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

It May Take Significant Weight Loss to Notice Changes in Breast Size

+1

There’s no question that breast size fluctuates with changes in body weight.  Unfortunately, it takes a significant weight loss to see noticeable changes in breast size.  Although there’s no doubt that weight loss would provide health benefits for you, it would most likely not affect your breast size in a significant way.
When breast volume actually decreases following generalized weight loss, it’s not unusual to develop associated breast sag.  The vast majority of patients considers this an unsatisfactory outcome and often desire breast lift surgery to correct this problem.
In most cases of severe breast hypertrophy, breast reduction surgery is necessary to correct the problem.  This procedure not only reduces breast size, but also lifts the breast into normal position and reduces areola size.  It improves symptoms associated with breast enlargement and improves quality of life.
Your history suggests that breast reduction should definitely be a consideration.  You have classic symptoms including back, neck and shoulder pain.  You also have decreased exercise tolerance which might be the cause of our weight gain.  Finally, it’s starting to affect your psychological well being.  Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon might be time well spent, and a good investment in your future.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Lose Weight and Breast Size?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to predict exactly what cup size you will where after additional weight loss. However, it is certainly in your best interests to reach a long term “stable weight”;  at that point you can determine your degree of satisfaction with breast size and see if breast reduction surgery is indicated. This procedure tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations  we perform.

It may very well be that the breast reduction procedure will help you physically and psychologically;  keep up the good work with your weight loss program.  When you are where you want to be evaluate the need for breast reduction surgery.

Breast reduction with weight loss

+1

At 5'1", the ideal body weight is approximately 110lbs. Furthermore, it is likely you will sustain additional decreases in size with subsequent weight loss. However, only your genetics will determine the degree of size reduction. Subseqent reductions could be achieved wtih breast tissue removal or liposuction.

Will weight loss make my breasts smaller?

+1

Based on your height and weight, you are slightly overweight.  According to the body mass index chart, a weight of 127 will put you in the healthy range of body weight for your height.

You can try losing the extra 8 pounds (please lose the weight slowly-crash diets are not healthy and even dangerous!), but I doubt it will make your symptoms go away.

You may consider breast reduction if your symptoms do not go away.

Best of Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Breast Size

+1

Your weight will definitely affect your breast size. As you gain weight, you'll breasts will get larger and as you lose weight your breasts will get smaller.  That said, based on your current breast size, it is unliklely that you will be able to get breasts as small as you desire with weight loss alone. You are likely to need either a reduction and/or a breast lift.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Lose Weight to Get Smaller Breasts

+1

Way to go on the weight loss, keep it up. It is possible another 10 pounds will allow your breasts to decrease in size to a F. But to a D I believe not possible. TRY though! To me a breast reduction/lift may be your only choice. Seek in person evaluation. 

Weight loss frequently results in smaller breasts

+1

Weight loss in most women frequently results in smaller breasts. At 5'1'' and 135 lbs you don't have a lot of weight to lose and it would be unlikely for you to reach the DD cup size you would like. Breast reduction would be a good alternative if you do not achieve your appearance goals with weight loss alone.

I  would recommend consulting a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Weight Loss is NOT a good way to Reduce G sized painful breasts

+1

Regarding:"Can I Lose Weight to Get Smaller Breasts?
I am 21yrs old. I'm 5'1'' and 135lbs. My breasts are a size 34G. I lost some weight and went from an H to a G. Will I be able to lose weight to get down to a DD or even a DDD. My back, neck, and shoulder are constantly in pain. Exercising and everyday activities are uncomfortable, and it's also taking a large toll on my self esteem
."

Although weight loss does lead to SOME breast volume loss, you are not obese and short of starving yourself you cannot lose much off your 135 pound frame to decrease the size of your breasts without hurting yourself.

A Breast Reduction WILL get you smaller, perkier breasts and allow you to enjoy your life without limitations.

Seek out a Plastic Surgeon and enjoy life.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Weight loss and breast size

+1

Your breasts will definitely get smaller with weight loss, but they m ay not become as small as you would like without surgery.