Serious Dieting and Exercise Program Before Liposuction?

I have about 50 lbs. of weight to get to my ideal weight. I have been trying to lose weight but not through a sustained or very serious effort. Should I try to lose as much weight as I can with some serious diet and exercise program first, and then go for the removal of remaining fat through Liposuction?

Liposuction and body weight

+1

Your best results with any type of body contouring surgery, whether it is liposuction, a tummy tuck, or a body lift, will be evident with you at a stable weight close to your ideal weight. If you lose weight naturally, it is gradual and uniform, and you may have the possibility of experiencing some natural recoil of the skin. If the skin tightens, great - your plastic surgeon cause use liposuction to contour your remaining problems. If it doesn't happen, and you're left with large amounts of loose skin, you'll be better suited for a technique that removes skin and fat, like a tummy tuck or body lift.

Be at your best weight before Liposuction

+1

There is no doubt that your best, most long-lasting result will occur when you are at the best weight you can be before any form of body contouring, including liposuction.

Be prepared for the possibility of some loose skin if you succeed in losing the amount of weight you're considering. You might then need an excisional procedure such as one of the many body lifting techniques or a tummy tuck.

Once you are at a weight that you think you can maintain, you should go in for a consultation and see what an experienced plastic surgeon recommends.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon