Should I Try to Lose As Much Weight As I Can Before a Zeltiq Cool Sculpting Treatment to Optimize Its Benefits?

I've scheduled an appointment to get the treatment done. I wanted to know if losing weight prior to the treatment will allow the zeltiq device to kill more fat cells?

CoolSculpting Treatment

+1
CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. No supplements or pills are required and you do not have to adopt new diet and exercise habits.

Loosing Weight Before Undergoing Cool Sculpting

+1

Dear Jojo,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Naturally, when the patients looses the fat and exercises with a healthy diet to achieve the maximal fat loss possible then what remains as the "stubborn fat pads" will be addressed by the cool sculpting treatment for the optimal results possible.

That said, it is important to note that if excess skin is to result prior the cool sculpting treatment then this issue will not be resolved after the treatment as the cool sculpting (Zeltiq) will not affect the skin laxity.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Cool Sculpting and Weight Loss?

+1

Similar to liposuction surgery, cool sculpting is best done for patients with isolated diet and exercise resistant  adipose tissue  “pockets”.  This will allow the procedure to address stubborn areas  and will likely result in overall improved results.

Diet and Coolsculpting

+1

Technically you do not need to change your diet before or after Coolsculpting. However, it is always best to be as fit as possible but you do not want to crash diet before Coolsculpting to avoid the risk fo rebounding and gaining weight afterwards.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is best used on diet and exercise resistant fat.

+1

I always recommend that patients have incorporated a diet and nutritional program prior to doing any fat reducing procedures. This way the procedure merely works to reduce diet and exercise resistant fat.

Laurie Casas, MD

CoolSculpting should be done for fat reduction after you've reduced as much as you can

+1

Elective cosmetic procedures are best done when you are in the best medical shape.  Reducing your fat before Zeltiq's CoolSculpting won't allow you to kill more fat cells as it reduces about 20% of the larger amount of your fat if you don't diet or exercise the fat off. It also reduces 20% of the residual fat if you do diet and exercise. The overall result will be better, however, if you do have the treatment when you have lost all you can naturally.  Liposuction is suited for an ideal candidate who can't get rid of the last bulge despite diet and exericse.  This is much the same for CoolSculpting. Some people have a few sessions of Zeltiq's CoolSculpting in order to reduce the unwanted fat in a certain area to the maximum extent possible.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Save Zeltiq for when you are near your sustainable goal weight

+1

You are right.  You should get nearer your sustainable goal weight before having zeltiq.  I include the word "sustainable" because there is often a difference between what we want to weigh, and what our bodies will allow us to weigh.  It is important to be realistic.

Zeltiq is meant for those stubborn pockets of diet and exercise resistant fat.  Zeltiq may actually work better when you are at your goal weight.  The reason it that weight gain stretches our skin.  As we lose weight, our skin becomes a little more lax.   The Zeltiq probe may be better able to suck in that slightly more lax skin, thereby allowing the probe to treat more fat cells.

In addition, once you are at your goal weight, your consulting physician will be able to better assess the elasticity of your skin.  If your skin is too saggy (this is usually the case after too much weight loss or weight loss that happens too quickly - eg after pregnancy), then you may get a better result from a procedure that removes fat AND skin.

Good luck!

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

You should be at your optimum weight for Zeltiq

+1
Zeltiq is great but it is NOT meant as a weight loss device.  It is best used on a single bulge when you are at your ideal weight.  I always tell patients it is best to eat right, diet, and exercise, and get Zeltiq for those problem areas that do not get better after doing all of that.

Michele S. Green, MD

Zeltiq after optimal weight is obtained

+1

It is highly recommended that you reach your goal weight before performing any cosmetic sculpting treatments.  Yes it is adviseable to loose weight before treatment

Ariel Ostad, MD