Do I Need to Lose Weight Before I Get Tummy Tuck?

Is it best to lose weight prior to tummy tuck

+1

I often tell my patients that the most important consideration is how likely are you to maintain the weight loss after surgery.    I find that weight loss or gain after surgery is much more likely to affect the longterm surgical result, compared to any weight loss prior to surgery.

Bottomline, try to lose the weight prior to surgery, but try to maintain realistic expectations of keeping it off.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Tummy Tuck preparation

+1

You ideally should be at your ideal body weight.  I would do the followings to prepare for your procedure. 1) Keep on healthy diet and take multi-vitamins, 2) Continue with regular exercise to keep your body healthy; however, try not to lose more weight at this time. You want a stable weight, 3) No smoking, 4) No aspirin 7 days prior to your surgery, 5) Check with your plastic surgeon to find out which medications she/he wants you to avoid. Best wishes to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Weight Loss before Tummy Tuck?

+1

If you are not at your long-term stable weight, I would suggest that you reach as close as possible to this weight prior to undergoing any type of body contouring surgery. Having the procedure done when you have a reached a long-term stable weight will help minimize complications and potentially minimize the need for further surgery in the future.

Weight Loss before a tummy tuck.

+1

Greetings,

We advise patients, who we see in consultation, to arrive at their best possible weight prior to tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery.

It is sensible and logical that the more weight lost prior to this operation, the looser the abdominal skin becomes and the more skin that can be safely removed.

Also, the statistical risks and complication associated with these procedures falls right along with the patient's weight at the time of surgery....

Good luck with your surgical plans....

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Do I need to reduce weight before a tummy tuck?

+1

Its according to how much over-weight you are. My usual recommendation is to try to get to the weight that you can comfortably maintain. If you are very much over-weight, losing weight would be best.

However, I have had patients that were so over weight that when they lost weight, they had an enormous apron of skin hanging over their thighs. In these cases, a pannulectomy (removing the apron of skin) can be an incentive to lose more weight. Also a circumferal body lift can be performed in cases where patients are very much over weight that would remove most all of the excess skin and fat. Although this is much more surgery than a TT, the results can be spectacular.

Most circumferal body lifts are done after extreme weight lose, such as after gastric bypass surgery.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon