Should I Lose Weight Before my Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I have about 15 pounds that I could lose to be an ideal size for me. I am currently 5'2"and weigh 130. Should I try to get skinny before my surgery so that my doctor can remove as much possible? Will I look odd if I lose before surgery and then gain weight later in life?

Lose weight

+2

Hi innerautumn. From what I can see from your Photo's you look ready to go. It's always preferable to be at ideal body weight, but most of the time we are fooled into believing we can get to that magic number.

Good luck

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Should I lose weight before my TT

+1

Thank you for your question!  From your photo, it appears that you should be able to have surgery at any time! It would be ideal to reach your goal weight prior to surgery, but it needs to be a realistic weight that can be maintained without strain. What you don't want to do is lose so much weight, have your surgery and not be able to maintain it and undo all of the surgery.  Good luck!! ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Surgery looks like it would be okay!

+1

I think you could do surgery any time now! You look proportionate in your picture and I find that most of my patients lose about 7-10 lb. after a TT anyway, so I think you will do great!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+1

Thank you so much for this question. It is such a good one that a lot of people ask. This is a pretty easy one for me. You personally do not seem to need to lose more weight. Being that said I always educate my patients that being at a stable weight for a while is the best way to obtain the best results. You want to lose as much weight as possible prior to having this procedure. That way the maximal amount of loose skin can be removed. You should have a great result. Best of luck with your procedure.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck is Helpful

+1

Stabilizing weight through diet and exercise is always most healthy, and doing so before a tummy tuck is a good idea.

On the other hand, a quick weight loss diet before surgery is probably not a good idea, because it is unlikely to be sustainable and adds some metabolic stresses or possible physiologic imbalances that can even be detrimental to surgery, anesthesia and healing.

Get to a stable weight through good eating and exercise prior to your tummy tuck.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Should I loose weight before my tummy tuck surgery?

+1

Thanks so much for your question.  It's always best to get to a stable weight prior to having elective surgery.  However, it's also good to not loose so much weight that you are unable to maintain that new lower weight after your surgery.  I think if you are within 5 or so pounds of your goal weight you should be in a good position to have a successful surgery.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Before Abdominoplasty

+1

Excessive lipodystrophy (excess fatty deposits) prior to abdominoplasty is usually only a problem when it is located under the abdominal muscle, causing an abdominal bulge that cannot be flattened, even after muscle tightening.  Alternatively, subcutaneous lipodystrophy in the abdominal area can be directly reduced with the abdominoplasty surgery itself or with concurrent liposuction, as part of an effective treatment of the mid trunk.

Your photo does not demonstrate either issue.  In fact, you look rather slender, despite your concern of excessive weight.  I think you are in ideal shape for your surgery, and should have a nice improvement of your abdominal skin. The only negative aspect of your anatomy is the lack of excess skin in your upper abdomen to allow more of the stretchmark ridden skin to be excised.  Although not all of the stretchmarks cannot be removed, the ones that remain will probably be positioned below the belly button after surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Stable weight is most important

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  It is much more important that you are at a stable weight compared to losing and extra 10-15 lbs.  The skin and fat that is removed during your tummy tuck may be 3-5 pounds so that will make an impact as well.  From your information and photo I do not think it will be critical to lose weight before surgery.  If you are plannig on doing so and planning on maintaing that new lower weight than that would be fine to do so before surgery if you are ok with waiting.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD