Lose Weight Before Mommy Makeover?

I am in my mid-40s, and do not plan on any more children. Unfortunately, I am about 50 lbs overweight, and having a tough time losing. Do I need to focus on losing the weight before I consider a "Mommy makeover?" Thanks!

Hi there,

It would be very helpful if you were to include your current measurements (height/weight), so that the doctors can give you the most helpful answer.

Thank you.

Sarah, RealSelf Team.

Losing weight before a mommy makeover

+2

If you can get to your ideal weight for your body type and maintain it. That of course is the ideal situation. But we have to be realistic in what a patient is willing and capable of achieving. If you have tried everything and can't lose any more weight, then now might be your time for surgery. I of course would like you to get to your goal weight. I recommend in my practice the "Gracie Diet"(no commercial ties). This manner of eating healthy is truly life altering and works. It is not a true diet but a way of eating.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

Weight loss before mommy makeover is best, IF you can keep it off!

+2

Operating on someone that is overweight carries some increase in risk, though these are still generally quite low. Having someone that is healthy enough to heal all my work for them is a critical component of "good surgical planning."

I have told my overweight patients for years that IF they can lose weight in a healthy way and maintain that weight loss after srugery, they will obtain their best results and have the lowest risks.

BUT, if they start some crazy "concentration camp diet" to lose XX pounds of weight in order to satisfy some surgeon's numerical requirement, and end up making themselves unhealthy at a weight they can never maintain, this is a fool's weight loss. And a result that is messed up rapidly as weight returns to "baseline."

I would rather operate on an overweight patient that has the nutritional building blocks to heal properly, than someone at "ideal" weight who has starved themself to an unsafe state.

Still, your abdomen has a large amount of mesenteric and omental fat, and trying to stuff all those intestinal contents into a slimmer cylinder (your new abdomen) doesn't always work. (Sort of like trying to put a 10 gallon head in an 8 gallon hat! Won't work!)

When we are confronted with patients who remain overweight and still wish to proceed, we have to make sure they understand that their result will be suboptimal, and their expenditure may not give them their desired result. That is always a difficutl discussion, but one that you need to take to heart before you say "I can't lose any more weight." If that is true, then godspeed and your surgeon will do his or her best! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and Weight Loss?

+2

Generally, most plastic surgeons would agree that complications are decreased when patients are at their long-term stable weight. Complications such as the venous thrombosis (clots in the legs)  may be increased  if patients undergo surgery when they are overweight.
Also,  the chance that patients may require revisionary surgery is greater if they undergo the body contouring procedures while they are overweight.  Once these patients lose weight after surgery,  additional surgery may be necessary to improve the results.
You are correct in that the  last few pounds may be the hardest to lose;  some patients benefit from professional help their internist, trainers and/or dietitians.

Hello

+2

In regards to loosing weight before surgery its really up to you, getting the surgery can actually help with the loosing weight and motivate you too loose more weight. You would get results either way.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Weight loss before mommy makeover

+2

Ideally patients should be at a stable weight that can be maintained indefinitely after surgery. Do not lose 50 lbs., have your surgery, and then gain it back - you will ruin your result. If you cannot commit to keeping it off, it is better to have the surgery at your current weight ( if your surgeon thinks it is safe to operate on you at your current weight).Losing weight after surgery generally will improve your result, not make it worse. 90% of people who diet to lose weight (rather than losing it by making a permanent lifestyle changes) will gain it back. Hope that helps.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make over

+2

If you loose the weight, 50 lb your results from Mommy Makeover would be much better. If you maintain the weight after surgery you then will have a better result for much longer time.

Being Close to Your Ideal Body Weight Improves Results from Mommy Makeover

+1

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from mommy makeover surgery. It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of procedure. For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.

Unfortunately, reaching an ideal body weight is easier said than done. The vast majority of patients are unsuccessful at losing this additional weight. It’s also important to realize that even when patients are overweight, they can potentially benefit from mommy makeover surgery. We therefore evaluate every patients on an individual basis. We encourage patients to lose weight before surgery and prefer that their weight be stable for at least three months. We realize that some patients will have difficulty losing weight. We therefore encourage patients to be in a supervised weight loss program. Even with that help, some patients will be unsuccessful in their effort to lose weight. Even without weight loss, many of these patients will still potentially benefit from mommy makeover surgery.

It’s important to realize that weight loss following mommy makeover surgery can affect the final result. This could even result in the need for revisional surgery. For these reasons, it’s important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.  

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss before Mommy Makeover

+1

Thank you for your question Anne.   This is a very common concern.  

I think your overall result will be much better if the weight is lost before surgery.   Also, your body will handle the surgery better and recover more safely at a healthier weight.

The concern I share with patients is whether it is realistic to maintain that weight.   Significant weight loss or gain after surgery can more significantly affect the longterm result more than any weight gain/loss prior to surgery.

Bottomline, it is always better to do surgery at a healthier weight, but the result can be significantly affected if you lose weight, have surgery, then gain it back.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Mommy makeover and weight

+1

Ideally, plastic surgeons like their patients to be at or close to their ideal body weight before mommy makeover surgery.   This allows our patients to get the best results from their surgery.   But start with meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options and develop a treatment plan.  This may include a weight loss strategy first before proceeding with any surgery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lose weight before tummy tuck?

+1

Losing weight before surgery iis best because it allows more skin to be removed and therefore the tighter and better the results. I always recommend being at a comfortable weight that you can maintain. Discuss it with your surgeon during your consult.

Ronald Schuster, MD