Do You Have to Lose Weight Before Getting a Facelift?

Should I lose weight before getting my facelift in July? I'd say I am about 20 lbs heavier then I want to be. If I don't and lose weight after will I have loose skin? Please give me your advice!!!

Loose weight before your facelift

+2

I strongly advise you get to your target weight before having a face lift.  I have seen marked changes in facial appearance with even 10 lbs of weight change.  Make sure your target weight is reasonable and one that you can maintain.  There are few things as bad for the skin as weight fluctuations. 

Lose Weight Before or After Facelift

+1

I would recommend losing the 20 lbs prior to the facelift.  Then, there is no worry about volume loss later or skin changes.  This also gives a more precise determination about the added value of fat grafting.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

Losing Weight Prior to Facelift Surgery?

+1

I always recommend for patients to try to lose the weight that they are wanting to lose prior to having surgery.  20 pounds may or may not make a difference but by losing the weight prior to having the procedure, it will reduce the chances of needing revisionary surgery.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons who can give you good advice and show you examples of their work.  Having a physical examination is the best way to get the best advice.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_faceLift.htm

Weight loss before facelift

+1

I have done facelifts for 36 years and I am a great observer and take many pictures. I dont see any difference if 20 pounds are lost before surgery or not. I see almost no difference after facelift either.

Weight loss and facelift

+1

if you are going to loose and keep off 20 pounds i think it makes sense before the facelift.  i think this is an issue for a loss greater than about 10 pounds.

Weight Loss Before Face Lift Surgery

+1

This is a common question in my practice in New York. If your face is very round and there is a lot of fat in the cheeks, there is some benefit to weight loss (slow and steady, not starvation) before having facelift surgery . If your face is more thin, then weightloss of 20 pounds or less makes little difference previous to having a face lift. The other factors to consider are your age and skin elasticity. It’s best you meet with a specialist who performs facelift as a specialty and you should be able o get  your questions answered.

Web reference: http://prasadcosmeticsurgery.com/prasad-face-eyes/facelifts/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

In my experience, it's not so much how over weight the patient is as it is how much actual excess fatty tissue is in the face and neck.  Excess fat is removed and contoured in the minimal incision Face and Neck Lifts but if excessive, some prior weight loss is advised.  I'd have to see photos of your face to make a further evaluation.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Face lift and weight loss

+1

Try to lose 10 pounds if you can. But don't panic. What is important is how much fat is in your face?

My patients face lift results hold well even when they lose 20 pounds. But, especially for people who have fat faces, more weight loss will make the face look a bit looser than ideal.

However, it won't return to the way it was before surgery. 

The only time I have seen complete loss of a face lift result was a patient who was in a car accident soon after surgery and had massive facial swelling.

Best wishes!

Losing weight before facelift

+1

If you're planning on losing 20 pounds I'd suggest waiting to have facelift surgery after you've reached your goal weight. Smaller weight changes shouldn't affect your results, but changes of 15 pounds or more would make it better to wait.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facelift-midface-lift

Should I lose weight before having a facelift

+1

Ideally, it is best to lose weight before a facelift. If you are only 10 or 15lbs over your ideal weight the results will likely not be that much different. In my experience, 20lbs is on the border. There is a good possibility that you will get a better result is you lose the weight before having the surgery. If you have been 20lbs over weight for many years and losing the weight is not a realistic possibility, I then would advise that go ahead and have the surgery. Good luck with your weight loss plan!