Is It Okay to Lose More Weight After BR and Flank Lipo?

Hello~ I'm having flank liposuction and BR in October. Is it okay to lose more weight after surgery? Will this effect my results in a negative way(I don't think it will be more than 10 pounds)?

Losing Weight After Surgery

+1

In general, I recommend that patients lose as much weight as possible prior to surgery because when a patient loses weight after surgery, they may need revisionary surgery.  For example, a breast reduction patient who loses more weight, MAY lose volume in their breasts and therefore not be happy with the size.

It is difficult to say if 10 pounds will make a difference - but it may.

Best Wishes.

Weight loss before or after breast reduction

+1

I would caution you against weight loss following breast reduction as I have had three patients who became sufficiently thinner after breast reduction that their breasts lost volume prompting them to request implants

Weight loss aftger surgery

+1

Losing weight after surgery may impact yoru results. It is diffiuclt to say whether it will be a positive or negative thing.  Can it cause the breasts to deflate a bit?  It might?  How much, it is hard to say.

Finding your ideal body weight

+1

I find that women often loose weight after breast reduction surgery, even if their weight was stable beforehand.  I believe this is the improved body image in combination with better balance to the upper body-leading to improved comfort with exercise and increased physical activity.  I do the surgery anticipating this fact and find that patients often look even better overall after the weight loss, assuming there is only a 10 to 15 pound reduction.  There is always the possibility the skin appears loose after weight loss, so skin quality before is vital!

Julius W. Few, MD

Weight loss after liposuction

+1

Ideally, you should be at your stable weight  before body-contouring procedures like liposuction. Ten pounds in a 180 pound person is different than 10 pounds in a 100 pound person so it depends on how much you weight now.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Okay to lose more weight after BR and flank lipo

+1

Sure up to 10 pounds will most likely not effect the surgery result but again it depends the ratio of weight loss to the total weight. From MIAMI Dr. B

It is always best to loose the weight before surgery but it won't hurt you to loose it after surgery

+1

By loosing what ever weight you need to loose or would like to loose before surgery, you will get the best and longest lasting result with the greatest safety of your surgery. Some times folks want to loose weight but it just isn't going to happen. In that case discuss this with your surgeon and make the best plan for you. If after surgery you are inspired to loose more weight so be it. It will only add to your general health and if the worst thing that happens is you need a revision of the loose skin that isn't so bad. See if you can get some help with the pre operative weight loose with Weight Watchers or some other organization. 

All most all of my patients want to loose 10 pounds but few ever really do. If you loose that after surgery there will be no real problem. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Weight Loss after Reduction & Lipo

+1

I think that a weight loss of only about 10 pounds should have no deleterious effects on the results of your breast reduction and flank liposuction.  A profound weight loss could certainly create a situation that you are unhappy with; however, this degree of weight loss should not be troublesome.

John Whitt, MD