Still Have Lose Skin 18 Months Post-Op-. Will The Revision Help?

I had a FULL TT done 18 months ago. I am not happy with the results as i still have some lose skin. I'm going for a TT revision next week, but, now i'm doubting even going thru this again. Can the appearance of my tummy and scar improve after a TT revision. HELP!!

Tummy tuck revision

+2

Yes I think a tummy tuck revision will help remove additional skin and possibly lower your scar. it is possible that your scar will also be a finer line scar after the revision. Remember the need for realistic expectations- discuss your expectations/goals with your surgeon to avoid disappointment.

+2

Very very hard from the photos posted to advise if additional skin excision is needed, SORRY. Best to either post better photos in many positions or seek second opinions in person. 

Tummy tuck revision can help, but it is all in the details.

+2

Hi.

1)  Going by your pictures, I think a well planned revision would help you.

2)  The scar is too high.  Lowering it even an inch, would make your abdomen look more attractive.

3)  But whatever skin excess you still have is above your belly button.  This means that in a revision, this skin has to be slid down past your belly button, and you will have to accept a short low vertical scar (where the belly button used to be). This is a good trade off.  The probable reason that you have a high scar now is that your surgeon wanted to avoid the vertical scar.  But we find that patients accept this very well.  The most important thing is for the horizontal scar to be very low in the pubic area.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy Tuck Revision

+2

You appear tight when standing, and the loose skin is most apparent when you bend forward.  Understand that if your surgeon removes too much skin, you will have a MAJOR problem.  Either your wound will come apart, your scar will widen, your scar may be too high, and/or you will have delayed healing.  There will always be some redundant skin when you flex, same as you have extra skin on the back of your elbow when your arm is straight.  You NEED that "extra" skin to allow you to flex the elbow.  Similarly, you need some excess abdominal skin to allow movement. 

Steve Laverson, MD

Residual Excess Skin Following a Tummy Tuck

+2

It is important to understand the limitations of what a tummytuck can do.  Aside from tightening the abdominal wall to give you a flatter, firmer abdomen, a tummytuck removes excess skin and fat.  It does nothing to the quality of the remaining fat and skin.  Therefore, if you have very lax tissues, they will remain that way after surgery, and a revision will not help this.  As to the appearance of your scar, the only thing that can be guaranteed about a scar after surgery is that you will have one.  Some people scar very well, while others do not.  18 months after surgery, your scar is just about fullly matured.  Revising the scar at this point may make it appear better, but it may make it worse.  There are scar aids, such as silicone sheeting, that you can use that are very helpful in improving the appearance.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Extra Skin After Tummy Tuck

+2

One of the issues that you are experiencing is that you have multiple stretch marks which hints that the elasticity of your skin is compromised. Thus, you will never have "pre-baby or weight loss" skin.  Also, you are leaning over in the photo demonstrating loose skin, which is a normal phenomenon. One of the issues you may be able to accomplish in your revision is lowering of the TT scar so it is more easily concealed.

Discuss this with your surgeon

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Tummy tuck revision - worth it?

+2

If the middle photo is you standing straight up, there is no visible extra skin to remove to any substantial degree.  The bending over photos show the stretch marks you still have and still will have even after a revision.  These have destroyed the elasticity of the skin and it will never be great in those areas.  I would suggest you carefully review the expectations with your doctor as you will possibly still be unhappy after a revision.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS