Do I Need to Lose More Weight Before my Full Abdominoplasty Procedure?

I am currently scheduled for a full tummy tuck in late October. Right now I am 137 pounds and am 5'5" tall. I want to have the best results possible when it comes to having my surgery. For the past year and a half I have been consistently working out 4 to 5 days a week cycling and weight training. I am having a hard time losing any more weight and am wondering if I should push back my surgery so I have more time to lose weight so I have good results. I am attaching a picture to help.

You don't have to be at your target weight to have a tummy tuck

+2

Your are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  You don't have to lose more weight before the procedure.  You may actually find it easier to lose weight after the procedure than you do now.  I would rather have you do that than lose more weight ahead of time that you can't keep off and rebound up after the surgery.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck timing?

+2

I think you've done all the right things in preparation for your tummy tuck surgery. Further weight loss is not necessary.

I do however have a word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.

It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 

Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+2
You are very close to your ideal weight right now. If you were to lose an additional 15 to 20 lbs after your tummy tuck it would not adversely affect the results, you would only look better. I would not post-pone the surgery. I believe you are a great candidate and should have an excellent result.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Ready for tummy tuck

+2

You look like you are perfectly ready now for the tummy tuck.  Good luck and hopefully you will have a great result!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Weight and Tummy Tuck

+2

Plastic surgeons prefer to perform tummy tucks on patients who have stablized in their attempt for weight loss.  Given your height and weight, it sounds like you are ready for your abdominal contouring procedure.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+2

I think your weight is just fine where it is for a tummy tuck.  As you have probably discovered, the skin and stretch marks will not go away no matter how much you lose.  A tummy tuck will remove that laxity and help tighten up the muscles underneath.  Great job on working so hard to get where you are at this point and good luck with your surgery, I'm sure you will have a great result!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Weight and abdominoplasty

+2

Although, it is always beneficial to be at or near ones ideal body weight, at 5' 5" tall and 137 lbs., you do not have to lose any more weight to have a good result from an abdominoplasty.  Remember, following the abdominoplasty your body will need an adequate amount of protein, calories, and vitamins to properly heal.  Do not starve yourself around the time of the surgery to save a couple of pounds.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Get to Your Goal Weight

+2

As surgeons, we always want to operate on patients at their ideal weight. A greater concern is whether a full tummy tuck is necessary for you. I don't see a lot of vertical laxity - most of it seems horizontal. I would recommend a full re-examination/discussion with your surgeon to see which option is best for you. This would include liposuction alone, a modified tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck if he/she feels that you have enough laxity. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

+1

From the great posted photos and your description GO DO IT! The majority of the expert posters agree. 

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1

You are an ideal candidate for abdominoplasty at this time.  No need to lose more weight.  Continue healthy diet, regular exercise, adequate rest, and avoid weight gain.  In my opinion, from the pictures, you have plenty to work with, and losing a few more pounds will not improve your result substantially.

Steve Laverson, MD