Will I Definitely Lose Feeling in my Nipples After a Reduction?

I am scheduled for a consultation in a few weeks for a breast reduction. I have been doing my research and the only concern I have is loss of sensation. Is this something that is inevitable? Do I really have to give this up in order to have smaller breasts? I will go ahead because I know the pro's out weigh the cons but it all actuality it makes me sad to think about.

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

+2
Loss of nipple sensation is not inevitable except with a free nipple graft (and I reserve this for patients with extremely significant ptosis or sagging--usually accompanied by huge breasts--in the F+ range). Temporary decrease in sensation is common and this abates in an overwhelming majority of patients over time. Breast reduction is a terrific operation with an extraordinarily high level of patient satisfaction because it will not only improve your cosmetic appearance but alleviate neck, back and shoulder pain and rashes under the breasts. If your breasts are only marginally larger than you'd like, then the issue of decreased sensation becomes a more significant consideration than in patients with gigantic breasts. Regardless, it's great to see a patient who is doing a lot of homework prior ot the consultation!

Small Percentage Of Nipple Sensation Loss After Reduction

+2

It certainly is not inevitable that you will lose your nipple sensation with a breast reduction, unless you have a free nipple-areolar graft in which case there is always loss of sensation.  With other techniques you chance of loss of nipple sensation should be relatively low (<4-5%).  Consult a BC plastic surgeon with whom you can discuss benefits/risks.

Loss of Sensation...

+2

Most patients who have a standard breast reduction maintain sensation as long as a free nipple graft is not performed. Loss of sensation is always a risk, but as you note, the benefits usually outweigh those risks. Good Luck!

Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Loss of sensation

+2

To-Date I have not seen a patient who experienced complete loss of nipple sensation.  In some instances, one or both nipples may had added sensation or may experience temporary loss but typicall during the first 3-6 mos post-op most patients will have resumed normal nipple sensation

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Loss of Sensation?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

The majority of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery will have normal sensation after the procedure. Only the  rare patient that requires “free nipple grafting” will  always have loss of sensation.

Again, most patients who present with neck/back/shoulder discomfort symptoms associated with breast hypertrophy are very pleased with the results of breast reduction surgery.

Please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Nipple sensation loss

+1

As you mentioned in you question, benefits are more than the risks. In general after a breast reduction the chances of sensation loss immediately after surgery is around 20%, most of this patients will recover the sensation over the coming months, the rate for permanent loss of sensation is less than 5%. So most likely you will be ok after surgery.

Good luck

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery

+1

The nerves that provide sensation to the breast  come up from between the ribs all around the breast.    Since a breast reduction involves the removal of breast tissue as well as reshaping it is certainly possible for there to be a change in nipple sensation.  The procedure is designed to allow for sensation but it is certainly something that can not be guaranteed and must come into the discussion of risks vs. benefits.   A thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon will help you make a decision that is correct for you.  

Breast reduction and sensation

+1

It is unlcear why some lose sensation while others do not. It could be from stretching or the sensory nerves or by actually cutting them. It is not common to see them during surgery.  Be that as it may, most people have some sensory changes after surgery that improves in the first 6-8 weeks. About 85% have normal sensation after one year.

Will You loose nipple sensation with breast lift and/ or reduction

+1

the chance of loosing nipple sensation with breast lift and reduction is low, as long as the nipple-areolar complex is not completely detached and regrafted. Although there is variation in techniques for breast reduction, I usually see that more than 90% of my patient retain most of their nipple sensation with major breast lift or breast reduction in los angeles.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulfigure.com/p_breast_red.htm

Nipple Sensation After Breast Reduction

+1

The very large majority of patients retain normal sensation after a breast reduction, but unfortunately you never know ahead of time which group of patients you are in. If loss of sensation would prevent you from doing the reduction then you have your answer - don't do the surgery. But the odds are you will have no problem. There is a seldom done procedure reserved for patients with extremely large breasts that requires taking the nipple totally off the breast and then sewing it back on later. All of those patients lose feeling but most of those patients will tell you they had little or no feeling before surgery. That technique is called a "Free Nipple Graft". And no, it is not free!