I Want to Lose Fat on my Abdomen, Thighs and Buttocks Without Surgery. Which is Best?

i want to lose fat on my stomach, thighs and buttocks without surgery. Which procedure is best? Healthy eating and swimming are not getting rid of the fat it seems. I am 33 - any advice here would be much appreciated. Thank you

No easy answers to losing weight

+1

Diet and exercize is #1. The next invasive procedure is lipo followed by surgery. Unfortunately no easy answers. If there was any validity to marketing hype then we would all take the easy way. Sorry 

Non surgical weight loss options.

+1

Short Answer: Diet & Exercise

Long Answer: see above. The only effective method for long term weight loss is diet modification and addition of an exercise program. That being said, there are several easy steps you can start with. 

1. Drink more water: most Americans are dehydrated. We simply do not get enough fluid intake. Many people mistake thirst for hunger. Instead of reaching for a snack next time you feel hungry, drink 8 ounces of water (not soda, not coffee, not juice). If you are still feeling hungry after 30 minutes, then eat a sensible snack. 

2. Smaller, more frequent meals: MORE MEALS!?!? actually yes. When your body is getting food, it changes its metabolic state from that of "Starvation Mode" to a more active metabolic state. If your body is not getting food on a regular basis (4 sensible meals/day) it can slow down its metabolism markedly conserving calories instead of burning them, as it is unsure when it will get its net meal.  

3. Take the stairs: Formal exercise programs are hard to start "cold turkey". Taking the stairs up one flight and down two instead of an elevator or escalator seems silly, but will make a difference. Take a 30 minute walk every day after dinner. It's good for you, and you'll get to know your neighbors. 

4. Rapid weight loss is usually temporary. Sustainable weight loss is no more than 1-2 pounds per week! Faster than that and you are setting yourself up for a yo-yo rebound effect. Slow and steady wins this race. 

Once you have achieved a weight you are happy with, you may find you have a "trouble zone" of fatty deposition or "saggy skin" of your belly, thighs, breasts, or arms that could benefit from surgical rejuvenation. Call your plastic surgeon for evaluation then!

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Fat reduction non-surgically

+1

The best way is always diet and exercise, but liposuction can be a great way to get rid of stubborn regions but this requires surgery.  Newer technology like zerona and zeltiq may offer solutions.

Non-surgical Fat Reduction

+1

Without the ideal way to lose fat is through diet. Once on the right diet, exercise aids the process. The only other method of non-surgical loss is one of two new machines approved by the FDA. They can cause a significant loss of fat and help kick-start further weight loss by encouraging continued dietary modification. The machine I use is the Zerona®, a low level, painless Laser with no down time.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Overweight liposuction

+1

The best way to lose weight is a combination of exercise and improvements in dietary habits.  This means, essentially, less fat and carbohydrates in the diet, and regular cardiovascular exercising.  In my opinion, running is the best way, but I am biased since I am a runner.  3-4 miles per day, with one day rest, is a good way to maintain and lose weight.  Running is not for everyone; however.  Daily walking, one hour a day, is another way to lose weight.  I recommend consulting a dietitian to start and perhaps a physical trainer.  Good luck.  If you are successfull, you will change your life for the better.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Non surgical weight loss

+1

Liposcution is NOT advised. Even if you did proceed, it would likely not remove more than 20 lbs even if aggressive liposuction was performed. You need to consider consultation with a medical weight loss speicalist and possibly bariatric surgery.

Losing weight without surgery, try diet, exercise, medical checkup and Zeltiq Coolsculpting

+1

Some people's hormones are out of balance. If the thyroid is not producing enough hormone than the metabolic rate is slower than it should be and weight increases with the same calories consumed because less energy is expended than before the thyroid slowed down. If medically you are fine, then exercise needs to increase and diet watched more carefully.  After all of those are followed, then one may consider Zeltiq Coolsculpting as this procedure does not involve surgery. It does involve damaging the fat cells by cooling them. Weight may not be reduced much since fat is not a dense tissue, but there can be 20% reduction in volume in the first several months after one treatment. Of course, there is no guarantee that you will get that result and diet and exercise is still extremely important.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Extreme dieting and exercise are the best ways. I do not know of any non surgery to help. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. darryl J. Blinski

Diet and exercise for weight loss, liposuction for shaping

+1

Diet and exercise are still the only ways to reliably lose weight, but what you can't do is "spot reduce." The fat will diminish where your body wants it to, and there are often some areas that don't seem to change with weight loss. That is where liposuction comes in, but that is of course surgery. Since you are in the UK, Liposonix technology may be available. This is a nonsurgical approach to localized fat reduction.

Richard Baxter, MD

Fat reduction without surgery is possible!

+1

Your desire to reduce fat without surgery is what everyone desires. By far the best solutions are to optimize your lifestyle, nutritional balance and exercise. It is often helpful to get professional advice and guidance on how to do this for your body and your lifestyle. That being said, it sounds like you are already trying hard in these areas. For my patients with this situation we have seen great success with low level laser therapy and specifically Zerona. This completely non-invasive series of treatments help to mobilize fat from your fat cells so that your body can metabolize these lipids. The fat cells are not removed or destroyed but simply shrink temporarily. As long as your body is in a state of negative calorie balance you can lose 4 or more inches in a couple of weeks and maintain these results. More than 80% of patients lost 4 or more inches during a 2 week trial reviewed and approved by the FDA. Small and focal areas of fat can be treated non-invasively with devices like Velashape, Liposonix and others, but for a jump start towards general reduction without surgery try Zerona. Carefully performed liposuction remains the standard for permanently reducing fat that does not shrink as much as you hope for.

Good luck,

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon