Will Breast Tissue Be Reduced After Weight Loss?

I had two breast lift and breast augmentation consultations. Both seemed to think I could "maybe" be happy without a lift. They both said I have a good amount of breast tissue, but that I am borderline of needing a lift. So I am wondering if I lose weight, will I lose some breast tissue therefore decreasing my need for a lift?

Weight loss and breast size

+2

Generally patients lose breast size as they lose weight. This varies greatly, depending on how much of the breast tissue consists of fat.

Since it seems that you may intend on losing weight, it may be best to lose the weight first and then see what the status of the breasts is.

It would be a shame to do the surgery, lose weight and undo aspects of the surgery and get a less than optimal result.

Will weight loss decrease the need for a breast lift?

+1
Weight loss may reduce the amount of breast tissue you have, but this will not decrease the need for a breast lift. When patients need a breast lift it is usually because they have excess skin without the volume to fill it up. Adding an implant to already sagging skin will likely just make the sagging worse. If you have a good amount of breast tissue, but your breasts are sagging I would recommend a breast lift with a small implant. 

German Newall, MD

Breast Changes after Weight Loss?

+1

Depending on how much weight you plan to lose, you may find that the breasts will decrease in size and/or become more ptotic (sag).  These changes may increase your " need"  for breast lifting. Ideally, it is best to have any type of body contouring surgery after you have reached a long-term stable weight. This will minimize the chances that you will need further surgery in the future.

Weight loss and breasts

+1

On the contrary, if you lose weight the breasts may deflate a bit and you may need more of a lift afterwards.

Weight loss may affect your overall breast volume

+1

Some women lose weight to their breasts while others experience very little volume change with weight loss. In addition, depending upon the tone of your breasts and degree of laxity, if you do lose weight the skin could either shrink up or increase in droop.

With this said, my recommendation would be to simply lose the desired weight and see what happens. Unfortunately, none of us have a crystal ball and to accurately predict exactly what is going to happen to your breasts is very difficult.

Weight loss will decrease breast size

+1

Most women observe that their breasts "shrink" with weight loss, which can best be understood as fat reduction. If breast volume is gradually reduced, the skin envelope will often accomodate to the contracted volume. You should observe the position of the nipple, with respect to the inframammary fold (which is the place where the breast meets the chest wall).

If you are unwiling to use a large implant, to "take up the slack" on the loose breast skin, you may very well have to consider a lift to improve the position of the nipple as well as shape the skin brassiere to the implant. Consider the parameters which contribute to making a breast "attractive" and do be explicit with your PS consultant. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Weight loss has variable effects on the breasts of different individuals

+1

Hi there-

The extent to which your breasts are affected by weight loss would be an individual characteristic, but generally speaking most women's breasts DO get smaller as they lose weight.

I would not agree that you could increase your odds of avoiding a breast lift by losing weight however- in fact I would say that weight loss will INCREASE your chances of needing a breast lift to achieve your ideal breast shape and position.

This is because as you lose weight, (whether your breasts get a lot smaller or not), depending on the remaining elasticity of your skin and the amount of weight you lose, whatever excess skin there is will worsen the appearance of drooping and flatness in the upper portion of the breasts.

My best advice to you is to consider how disappointed you would be if you underwent surgery and ended up with breasts that were larger, but had their current shape and position on your body....

If this less than ideal outcome would be deeply disturbing to you, I would consider a reshaping procedure ("breast lift" minimizes the changes of a well-performed operation). If you would prefer to avoid the additional scarring, and believe that breasts which were larger but had their current shape and position would make you satisfied or happy, then I would agree you don't need one.

One final thought-

First of all, you can always add the breast lift later, but you'll never be able to take back the scars (although in many cases the scars are very inconspicuous).

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

You may need breast lift later after weight loss

+1

Your plastic surgeons are correct in offering you the augmentation now and if needed to do the lift later on. Stage procedures gives more predictable results with less risk . If you are borderline for lift, you may get enough lift from the augmentation and delay the lift till your weight is stable.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss, breast lift, and breast augmentation

+1

Shedthattissue:

The best advice is to have your chosen plastic surgeon do a final evaluation and planning session after you are near your weight loss goal.

If you might be happy with breast implant augmentation alone, the situation could change after you lose a significant amount of weight. You might be more likely to choose the combination of lift plus implant, unless your goal is to be somewhat smaller than your current size.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast tissue

+1

Some women lose weight in their breasts when they lose weight, some do not, and it's hard to predict this from one patient to the next. If you lose a significant amount of weight, you will be more likely to need a lift in addition to the implants, as weight loss in the breasts is associated with more sagging. It sounds like the need for a lift if you have the surgery now will need to be determined at the time of surgery. If you do need a lift, some surgeons prefer to do it at a different time, while others will do it at the same time as your augmentation. I would discuss this issue with both of your surgeons to find a plan that works for you. Good luck and best wishes.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS