Should I Lose Belly Fat Before Tummy Tuck?

I am doing a fat graft to buttocks/ BBL and tummy tuck procedure .... I want to have the best result possible .... would it help if I lose belly fat before surgery to make my stomach super flat? ... and if yes, will they decide not to do fat graft because I don't have enough fat to transfer (I am 5/8 and weigh 185 pounds ... my fat mostly located in the back and mid section)

Weight loss and body contouring.

+1

The best advice I can give is to get as close to your ideal body weight prior to any body contouring surgery. Fat grafting to the buttocks should be done with some caution. Many patients who are heavy in the lower back and flanks often find that liposuction to these areas alone often "reveals" the look they want from their buttocks - without any fat grafting at all. As with any surgery, if you are on a restrictive diet, be sure your surgeon knows ahead of time. Many diets will make recovery and healing difficult, increasing complication risk and impacting the final results.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Home test for intra-abdominal Fat

+1

The one area of fat that a plastic surgeon cannot access and improve is the fat inside your belly. This fat is wrapped around your intestines and totally inaccessible to surgery. Only you can shrink it with diet and exercise!

Here is the Test: Lay flat on your back and look down past your rib cage. If your tummy begins to cave in then tummy tucks will do much to improve your appearance. If it is flat or protrudes then keep working BEFORE your tummy tuck.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

+1

Having a tummy tuck and a BBL done at the same time is not a wise thing to do. How are you going to lay down? As you know for a BBL you have to lay on your tummy for a couple of weeks which is something you will not be able to do after a tummy tuck. One can theoretically say you can lay on your side, but you may change positions in your sleep and interfere with your healing.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Losing Weight Before Tummy Tuck

+1

Generally speaking I always recommend that a patient lose weight before rather than after any facial or body contouring procedure. In this way, the tightening of skin and soft tissue will maintain its firmness much longer after the surgery. If you lose a lot of weight after a tummy tuck, then your skin might become looser. Of course, you must be realistic and recognize what weight you are able to maintain, because it doesn't make sense to lose a lot of weight only to regain it after surgery. I think you would still have enough fat available to harvest for grafting to the buttocks if desired. Some of the areas available for fat harvesting include hips/flanks, abdomen, inner or outer thighs, even knees.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Tummy Tucks have best outcome in normal weight patients

+1

It is important to have your ideal weight to get best outcome from tummy tuck.  Buttock fat grafts are unpredictable at best and you should not make your tummy tuck hostage to your desire for buttock fat grafts. 

Loose weight before tummy tuck to your goal weight

Vasdev Rai, MD

+1

A tummy tuck and Brazilian buttlift may be performed together at your current weight, but without seeing photos or examining you it would be difficult to give recommendations about weight loss.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and Brazilian buttlift procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

In a perfect world you should lose weight first.

+1

I recommend that you get down to the weight that you want to be, or closest to it, prior to your tummy tuck. Your result will be the best in this manner. If you lose +/-20-30 lbs you should still have some fat left over to transfer.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

BBL with tummy tuck

+1

I usually don't recommed a BBL (Brazilian Butt Lift) at the same time as a tummy tuck because after a BBL it is not a good idea to lay on your buttock, which would be the case after a tummy tuck.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Weight loss and tummy tucks

+1

You will get the best result from a tummy tuck by being as close to your ideal body weight as possible.  I suspect, give your height and weight and reasonable expectations for weight loss that you will likely have enough leftover to get a great result from your BBL. 

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for share your question. In general, is good to lose weight prior a Tummy tuck, If your fat is mostly on your back and flanks that is the best fat to use on Fat grafting, always is good to do evaluation with pictures to better recommendations. Find a good doctor that is custom to performed this kind of procedures.

Walkiris Robles, MD