Do I need to lose additional weight in order to see the best results possible?

I am a 25 year old mother of two. Youngest, 11 months, oldest 2 years old. I am 5'3 and 155 pounds. Prior to both pregnancy I was 124 pounds. Both pregnancies resulted in C-Sections, and now a sag in lower abdomen and dreaded "apron." I am looking into having a Tummy Tuck done,

+1

The best result will be obtained at goal weight.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Ideal weight

+1

You will get the best results from tummy tuck surgery by being as close as possible to your ideal body weight.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is always best to be near the weight you will likely stay before having body-contouring surgery. Your current weight is not too high for proceeding unless you plan on losing 20 or 30 pounds.Then you may want to lose the weight first. Best of luck!

Janet Woodyard, MD

When is the Optimal Time to Do a Tummy Tuck??

+1

This a common and great question. The time for a TT is when you are done with babies and at your optimal, but achievable, weight. If further weight loss and exercise are being hindered by the loose skin or lax muscle wall, then surgery is indicated. Many of my patients will lose additional weight after body contouring surgery and it only compliments the overall result. If mentally, emotionally and financially this is the right time in your life for your Mommy Makeover then I encourage you to explore your options. Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Additional weight loss before TT

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

To have the optimum results it would certainly be ideal if you could get to your pre pregnancy weight. Is it mandatory? No. But as you suggested, you would have the best results if you could get yourself there. When you are ready I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

This is a very common question and does not really have a simple answer. The essence of this issue is the following. If you have the surgery done and lose a significant amount of weight(>10%) you may end up with some extra skin.

When I do a tummy tuck I always liposuction the belly at the same time so there is less of a chance of this happening. If the patient loses weight , less of it will end up coming from the belly.

An examination of your belly will give a better idea of whether you would be someone who should wait or not.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Best tummy tuck results when you are at ideal weight

+1

Thank you for your question. Granulation on having your children.

You will be able to get the best tummy tuck results if you are closer to your 124 pounds you were before having children. However you certainly are not overweight and if losing additional weight is difficult for you my guess is that you would have a good tummy tuck result now at your current weight. Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, his experience a tummy Tuck and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Losing weight before tummy tuck surgery

+1

I tell my patients that it is best to lose as much weight as possible in order to optimize the end results of abdominoplasty surgery. But, if you get to within 10 lbs of your target weight, you will still be fine in most cases. If the excess weight is being carried in the lower part of the abdomen, losing weight is not as important. If the excess tissue is in the upper abdomen above the belly button, the weight loss makes a bigger difference.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon